5.0 out of 5 stars A Bone Chilling Journey, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Run: A Vengeance Novel (Kindle Edition)
For a start, I must tell you that I finished reading this book the end of last week. It has taken me until now to compose myself enough to write a review. Talk about a book hangover - this hangover lasted for several days!
Why did I take so long to write my review? Simple. I needed to distance myself from the book. Had I sat down and written a review as soon as I had finished, I would have spent too long talking about the things I enjoyed and I would have had to write SPOILER ALERT over the whole thing because I wouldn't have been able to keep it all in. I didn't want to do that. I don't like spoilers. So, on to what I thought....

Firstly, let me tell you I am in such awe of Gregg Olsen. As an author myself, I can honestly say my novels feel like a kind of 'ten a penny drivel' but Gregg is an author to beware of. He is my new idol. I think I have a bit of an author crush on him, if I'm honest. He has a way with words that cannot be explained, it has to be experienced first-hand. He is masterful and oh so very clever. He commands your attention in such a way that you dare not put the book down. This book was all-consuming and what every thriller should be!

I didn't know what to expect during reading Run, but I found myself shocked at the twists and turns, the nature of this particular beast, it was gripping and had my internal alarm bells ringing. The first thing I wanted to know was who "He" was and when I found out, it was like a knife in the heart, I mean, poor Rylee. Then, I had other questions that I needed the answer to the same way I need air to breathe. I was reading this book every spare moment I got.
There was nothing in this book that disappointed me, absolutely NOTHING! The only bad thing about the whole story was the fact that it had to end.
Run was dark and edgy, gritty and sinister, and super intense!! I was hooked from the first word to the last. I am in awe of what a terrific author Gregg is, and what a beautiful thing his mind must be, especially when it's dark and edgy. Run seriously has any book I've read recently beaten hands down for how addictive it is.

Rylee is a mere fifteen years old when she comes home one day to find her father dead, her brother next to his prone body and a message scrawled on the floor in blood, it says 'RUN'. It has to have been their mother who wrote it, she's nowhere to be found.
Forced to flee their home and go on the run, Rylee and Hayden have no money, no family, no plan. All they know is they have to keep running if they are to survive. Rylee also knows she must find her mother before 'he' gets her. Or does he already have her? If so, where is he keeping her and why.
All Rylee's life, they have been forced to up and move at but a moment's notice. They call it 'the switch' and they never know where they are going. It's best not to plan ahead, to just up and leave. Why? Well Rylee has never really understood. All she knows is she has never settled in one place long enough to make any friends, let alone a boyfriend. Now she's got to find out who the mysterious 'he' is that might have her mother and free her from him. How? She doesn't know. But she manages to come up with a plan and hopes that it will help her gather more intelligence about who he is as well as where.
What ensues is a perilous journey that no fifteen year old should have to undertake. She won't call the police and thinks she is capable of everything that can possibly be thrown at her. But when she finds out who he is, what he wants with her mother - and more frighteningly - what he wants with Rylee, things take on a whole new meaning.

I was in the grips of this book from the start and the treacherous journey Rylee undertakes to rescue her mother is one of the most intriguing, haunting, bone-chilling I have read.

Gregg Olsen has to be one of my favourite authors. After reading the perfection that is Run, how could he not be? I am still thinking abut how awesome it was even though I finished it days ago. I know that it's the first book in the Vengeance series, I am hoping that means that there is more Rylee. It could mean one of two things, I guess. 1) the rest of the series is based around Rylee or 2) the rest of the series are about other characters and their lives. I personally hope it's option 1. I want, no, need to know what happens to her from here.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]