2.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected!, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Money, a Love Story: Untangle Your Financial Woes and Create the Life You Really Want (Paperback)
I bought this book, having read an article whereby a British female journalist met with and tried to implement the advice given by the author, Kate Northrup. I should have really just stuck to the tips provided in the article, rather than buy the book, which has turned out to be a waste of my money!
First of all, the author is an American so her advice is very 'lovey-dovey' and saddled with spirituality. This is all very well for a US audience who responds to encouragement from someone who considers herself to have been 'through financial hardship' but further reading of this book proves otherwise.
Which leads me onto my second point. The author cannot claim to have gone through financial hardship, when all she has done has spent $20k of her money on luxurious living, when she is able to live with her parents who both work and own their own home, which she is then able to live in rent free for a time while she sorts herself out.
My third point demonstrates how unrealistic this woman's financial advice is. At one point during the book, she tell us to invest in a beautiful, luxurious looking handbag in order to focus our minds on financial freedom. ?!? is all I can say to that.

This may not be the author's fault, however. Her book is clearly aimed at the US audience, not the British who are having to pull their purse strings every day in order to survive our current government's ridiculously unfair policies, aimed at disabling the working classes even further. But I digress. My review is not meant to be political. I do think it is pointless advertising this book in the UK as a guide to financial freedom.

Buy Merryn Somerset Webb's 'Love is not enough' instead and refer to the 'Money Saving Expert' website whenever you like for more realistic financial advice.

[Add comment]