3.0 out of 5 stars Playing this game takes more time and patience than I have, 23 Sept. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC DVD) (Computer Game)
...and that's saying something. I have no problem with exploring, dungeon-trawling, even level-grinding; in fact, I'm the kind of gamer who feels compelled to cover every square foot of ground and take my time doing it. I'm no stranger to spending 300+ hours on a good game - but I don't expect to spend all of that in one area, repeating myself endlessly in some sort of hellish gaming deja-vu scenario. It's torture.

Prepare To Die? I was. I just wasn't prepared for the necessity of re-doing the same stretch of game-world, killing exactly the same enemies, 10, 20 times over whenever I did; only to get a few feet further on the next go. How is mindless repetition fun? It's not. Not for me at least!

For the sake of balance, however, I know there are many people who love the game, so perhaps it is just a case of playstyle; I just wish I had known how much repetition was involved before I bought it.
Also it is worth noting, I have had no technical issues at all - such port limitations as there are can be readily fixed, and if you play with a controller movement and combat are intuitive and straightforward. Such considerations are not what should give the potential buyer pause.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Oct 2012 07:52:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2013 23:36:56 GMT
C. Wigman says:
I've made similar comments on some gaming forums and received flack for it. From Software are hugely talented and creative people. The precursor to Demon's / Dark Souls was their first person dungeon crawler King's Field, which looks a little creaky these days but plays very similarly - if more like Ultima Underworld - but NOT as hard, and with a greater emphasis on exploration. i.e. The fun part!

Dark Souls is a massive accomplishment on many levels and artistically overwhelming at times, but you're absolutely correct that its "work hard to progress" gameplay ethic makes it difficult to appreciate what made King's Field fun: exploring. One must visit areas so many times again and again due to dying in Dark Souls, that it just becomes a slog.

So, good review. I would recommend anyone into RPGs try this game, but it's fine if one comes away disappointed or frustrated by Dark Souls: it's that kind of game.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 17:45:58 GMT
romain sotty says:
I got the game today, and this is exactly how i feel, redoing the same things over and over until I reach the next check point...
I'm having no fun at all; the graphic and ambiance are amazing, but this game is not for me. I don't find this game too hard, just, highly redoundant.
I really wanted to like this game.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 20:18:31 GMT
Alex T says:
There's very little repetition needed once you get used to the game. Have your shield up, don't rush into places, learn enemy attack patterns (they all telegraph), and upgrade your gear.

Once you 'get it' you'll be breezing through all the starting areas ever wondering how you found it hard in the first place.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 12:18:32 GMT
Kborom says:
Excellent review, my thoughts also after about 15 hours and with little progress to show. However, the flipside to the difficulty is that there is a major feeling of accomplishment which you get once you beat a boss, and they don't respawn, so it pushes you on to move further afield. I am researching help online though, quite a lot as some bosses you encounter early on should be left alone, and others are beatable, it is very hard telling which one is which!

I am playing keyboard/mouse and it is fine BTW, I had to research the keys but it seems OK and they can be changed. GFWL is OK for me also, and with this on the in game user comments can be quite useful and funny in places, quite a unique option which I like.

Alex T - for repetition read grinding. I need to do some now as I accidentally hit a trader who then attacked me, and apparently I can reset this with thousands of souls....

Posted on 16 Jul 2013 22:49:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2013 22:49:59 BDT
10, 20 times? You're doing something wrong mate. The game rewards smart play not hard play - you know the old proverb about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2013 11:06:24 BDT
Anthony says:
The difficulty is what it is and only when you master the combat can you make real progress. After mastering it you will say to yourself, where has this combat system been all my life!? As for the no tutorial part, the first level is a tutorial, messages scored on the ground explain the basics such as locking on, dodging, blocking etc. It is a shame that some people buy this game without knowing what they have let themselves in for, stick with it, however and it will give you one of the most pure adrenaline rushes gaming can offer. The respawning enemies are necessary for the grinding aspect - kill enemies, get souls, rest at bonfire, level up, repeat untill you are a little stronger and maybe that boss will not give you as much trouble. I emplore you to look up walkthroughs and wikis untill you are more familiar with the game. This is without a doubt the best rpg ever! Youtube Ornstein and Smough boss fight - bess boss ever - frantic, frustrating, but you feel like a LORD when you beat em! Other people in these comments have mentioned this boss fight, they are not wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2013 08:51:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Aug 2013 08:55:43 BDT
I don't think anybody mentioned the absence of a tutorial; it's fairly clear that the opening level is such - mechanics, controls and gameplay were not the problem. I seldom read instructions on how to play games in any case - finding out for yourself is half the fun. However, I'm just not a grinding gamer, not for the sake of it, and despite having looked on the wiki for tips I still couldn't defeat the first boss, so could progress no further.

Dr Funkenstein: In this game, there are enemies to defeat, and then there is a boss to defeat. If you don't defeat the boss, it kills you, and you have to do it again from the last save point. Maybe you have to grind to get strong enough to defeat the bosses, buy better gear, even if you have the tactics down. If there is a different, 'smarter' way of doing this, please let us in on the secret.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›