5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but it will take you a year...., 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good (Paperback)
I bought this book because I lived in a small one bedroom flat with 'stuff' coming out of my ears. Each month focusses on a different area (paper, the bathroom etc). The first week in each month is 'journalling'. I don't really have time to write about it, but I think that if you do, it would be very helpful. I did go through and think about things though and it helped me realise why I was holding on to so much stuff! If you take on board her premise, organising becomes a lot easier. You will have to work, and you have to develop systems so that you never get to this stage again, but there are plans for that. I have already gone through so much stuff. 5 bin bags have either been taken to the charity shop, or put aside for a 'swap party' out of the way.

I found that for a small flat, it wasn't necessarily all appropriate (I don't have a laundry room, an attic, a basement, a dining room table even), but I utilised the book to make changes to the system that were specific to my house. I sold old CDs and DVDs that no-one watches any more. Took books out of bookcases that I was just keeping because I read them once and liked them, not because I would read them again, even found some I have never read. They are by my bed so that I can read them and determine their fate.

If you have all the rooms (and events such as moving or travelling, and particularly if you celebrate thanksgiving too), then this book will take you a full year. As it is, I think I may be done in 6 months.

Also be aware that she will ask you to buy supplies every month. Sometimes you need to, sometimes you don't. When I do, I go to a cheap shop. E.g I bought a small set of see-through drawers for a fiver to hold all my jewellry. Now I know where it all is. And I can see it. And If I want to buy/keep anymore, something will have to go. That is the system.

Now if you will excuse me, my next task is my craft stuff. :)

Update: I love this book so much I am upgrading the review (from 4 stars). I can see myself using this book for years. Looking forward to using the chapter on travelling every year and the 'moving home' chapter later this year!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]