5.0 out of 5 stars Superb addition to the Garmin forerunner line, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I picked this up almost as soon as it came out, as been desperate from an upgrade from my forerunner 305. Avoided the 405 due to the huge amount of criticism on the bezel control format.

Did have to think twice about spending such an amount on a running watch, but I'm pleased to report I've very happy with my purchase.

My main reasons for upgrading from the Forerunner 305 were, firstly, the very slow GPS pickup. If I had moved a fair distance, and started running, it could easily take anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes to get satellite reception.
The 610, despite it's far smaller size, blows this out of the water. My average time so far has probably been about 30 seconds. Often less, though more a couple of times - but never more than a minute.

Secondly was the battery on my 305. Would only take a few decent sized runs before recharging was required. The 610 can manage about 8 hours. From what I've read, this isn't much better than a 405, but definitely better than my 305.

My worry on the 610 was the control mechanism. I was happy with the 305 controls, and the "improvement" on the 405 was regarded as a bit of a disaster.
The 610 has 3 hard buttons on the sizes (for power, start/stop, and lap/reset), everything else is touch screen. I'm finding it very useful. In particular, swiping between screen you've pre configured by tap or swiping is great, much better than the hard buttons on the 305.
I've not had any issues with rain/sweat affecting the connection between your finger at the screen either.

Other features I'm enjoying over the 305 -
- Wireless Sync. When the watch is on near the ANT USB stick, data automatically gets transferred (have tried on Windows and Mac, with success on both). really nice feature.

- Virtual Partner. This has changed from my 305. Partner used to be a virtual character from a previous run (which I thought was a great feature). This is now called Virtual Racer. Virtual Partner is now a pacer - set it to run at 8 minute miles, and you can see distance/time behind (or on a rare occasion, ahead :-)

- Easy changing of data fields during activity. You don't even have to preconfigure the screens - holding a data field will change the information available on that field.

In summary - a superb running watch. The only downside is that it is a pretty steep price. But if you're doing a lot of miles, this great bit of kit is definitely worth the money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jan 2012 06:56:41 GMT
I'm interested in getting a Garmin Forerunner 610 and i was wondering if it is still working with no issue?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 11:44:55 GMT
Steven Brown says:
yes - pleased to say I'm still delighted with it - 5 months of being used at least once a week, and haven't had any problems at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2013 13:07:50 BDT
GordonR says:
Hi Steven,

I am on the verge of purchasing this watch to replace my Forerunner 305. However, I am slightly apprehensive after reading some of the faults people have encountered - reverse chaging, starp pins dropping out, watch back wearing away and causing green marks on wrists.

Any updates on your watch? Have you encountered any problems?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2013 14:15:12 BDT
Steven Brown says:
still no issues at all for me. works perfectly, and I've been using 2/3 times a week since I got it...

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 16:33:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2014 16:33:46 GMT
runner says:
If I buy a used Garmin 610 for £170.00 would that include a HRM? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2014 16:44:04 GMT
Steven Brown says:
best to check with the seller, but at that price, I would imagine so. But for an extra £25, you get a brand new one with HRM, so think you'd be best going for that?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (190 customer reviews)

£259.99 £156.50
Reviewer

Steven Brown
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Edinburgh