3.0 out of 5 stars Radically New?, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: Rip It Up (Kindle Edition)
The 'Rip It Up' approach is described as 'radically new' on the cover; however, I have read this approach in many personal development books.
For example, in the book, How to be Healthy, Wealthy and Wise, M H Tester writes, 'Your body reacts to your attitude, EVEN IF IT IS SIMULATED'. He also states, 'If I have learned little in my life, there is one thing that makes the rest of my ignorance seem unimportant', regarding this.
In Dale Carnegie's How To Enjoy Your Life And Job, he cites a 'Miss Golden', who goes on to say, 'I made this important discovery: if I do my job AS IF I really enjoy it, then I do enjoy it to some extent'. But he accredits the philosophy to Professor Hans Vaihinger; 'if you act AS IF you're interested in your job, that bit of acting will make your interest real.
So, though not necessarily new, the theory has stood the test of time. I would have liked to have read less evidence for this, but more practical exercises for applying it to life.
Richard Wiseman urges us, in some of the exercises, to rip out some of the pages; useful technique, or clever way of ensuring there are less second-hand copies on the market? Just a thought.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2012 17:25:37 GMT
A very good, fair comment. I was going to buy this book but have found - and read - books of a similar nature. As a result I have learned, through reading these books, how to apply the suggested techniques in my everyday living and attitude to given situations. OK I don't always get it right, but life is one big learning curve and it never abates. Therefore, I will not purchase the book; I am glad I read your comment fully.

Posted on 30 Nov 2012 20:12:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2012 17:41:53 GMT
James Taylor says:
Good review, and the references are worth looking into as well. I'd like to point out that although the theme of this book is probably actually the oldest self-help theme, and I do wish that Wiseman would stop portraying his material as revolutionary stuff, this book is probably worth getting. Helga, depending on how much psychology you have already read, you might find that the experiments add weight to the other material you've read and might illustrate HOW the thing works (in Wiseman's opinion).

Carrying the theme a little further:

1, Google 'mirror neurons' and see whether or not you agree that these might assist NLP modelling - see my review.

2, Google Elizabeth Loftus. Another interesting line of work is that of Elizabeth Loftus, who found that it is possible to plant false memories -I could ask you 'do you remember that time when you were seven and you got lost in Woolworths?', and you might just find that you could remember that time! She has recently found that by planting memories of eating a certain food and then feeling sick, people have developed an aversion to the food in question! Echoes of 'one trial learning'. This line of research might shed new light on the NLP idea of timelines, because we could potentially plant empowering memories.

Modelling and timeline techniques are also both based on the 'as if' hypothesis.

I'm rambling, and it's only my view, but yeah, you might just find that 'Rip it up' gives an edge of pragmatism to all the other material.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist