3.0 out of 5 stars A flawed miracle., 24 Mar 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB - Black - 4th Generation (Electronics)
It seems absurd to criticise a device that is so small and yet can store so much. I find it complicated to use but that has more to do with my age I suppose. Being in my 60's I am not great with these hi-tech gadgets.

My criticisms are that the output volume is very low, and I am not into listening to loud music, so low means low.

The ear pieces supplied would not fit into my ears so I had to buy another set, ones suggested by Amazon, Sennheisers.

I loaded a talking book, The Hobbit, on 11 CDs, each CD was divided into short chapters averaging 3 to 4 minutes, along with a selection of albums. When I selected shuffle it would play a song then stick in a chapter of the Hobbit, then another song then another chapter. The chapters were chosen at random. I assume there is a way of keeping talking books separate but I could not find it.

I got an email telling me that my 90 days free telephone support would soon run out and that was the first I had heard of it.

A very clever device but I don't see me using it much. I bought it to use when away from home, and that does not happen that often. I have connected it to my HI-FI and it is handy for background music and I see that as being my main use for it. I think wearing these things when out and about can be dangerous, I like to be able to hear what is going on around me.

So a very clever device but not perfect.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2009 12:38:42 GMT
E. Coolican says:
There seems to be a collective brainwashing by the apple advertising machine, for this does not do what it says-the volume is too low for walkman use, the sound quality is tinny, I'm just gratefull I looked at other Mp3's on amazon, and read the reviews of the sony NWZ639S Mp4 player.It has genuine hi fi sound,the best ever in a walkman type product, and does all and more than the nano, with double the memory and a better build quality as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2009 17:52:51 GMT
J. kelly says:
E. Coolican, nobody cares about the sony NWZ639S player. (this does not do what it says) what aload of rubbish. The sound is by no means tinny at all. Stop replying to reviews of ipods, you will not change anyones mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2009 00:03:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Aug 2009 00:05:34 BDT
totally agree with E.Coolican, so pleased I looked at reviews of Sony NWZ639S can't fault it, just got one myself. Fantastic sound, very easy to use. Now looking to buy one for my mum and dad as I am sure they will love it as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2009 16:01:38 GMT
Output may be on the low side for the hard of hearing. I'd recommend you buy some decent earphones or headphones and you'll find that problem becomes redundant, as does the 'tinny' sound, which will disappear with a high bit rate (say 224 or 256 kbps in AAC format). I have mine at 256 and have AKG headphones, and my ipod sounds amazing!

Posted on 11 Nov 2011 00:24:36 GMT
all players sold in europe are subject to volume restriction this is EU law and not apple's fault, you'll find the same complaint mentioned over and over again for pretty much every make and model of player sold in the last few years. To fix this issue you need to download "Gopod" which will remove the restriction. Alternatively follow these instructions: in iTunes highlight all your music (hold ctrl and press A), right click on any track, select "get info", select "options" tab now click the volume adjustment box and move the volume slider to 100%. Your tracks will all now play very loud.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (128 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £45.00