39 of 41 people found the following review helpful
DO NOT BUY THESE - THEY COULD KILL YOUR CAT,
This review is from: Bob Martin Flea Collar for Cats Twin Pack (Misc.)
The active ingredient in these collars is Permethrin...this is highly toxic to cats and can very easily kill them. As a vet I have treated (sadly frequently unsuccessfully) cats suffering from permethrin toxicity due to owners accidentally applying a dog flea product containing permethrin to their cat. To see a cat product that contains this ingredient is deeply concerning.
DON'T TAKE THE RISK
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Oct 2013 23:08:26 BDT
Miss Frances A. Kirkham says:
Thank you . Getting a new kitten next week. Will definitely not buy this brand of collar.
Posted on 20 Oct 2013 10:12:07 BDT
DO NOT BUY THESE - THEY COULD KILL YOUR CAT - - - - more like, DO NOT BUY THESE - GO AND SPEND 8x THE AMOUNT (at least) AT THE VETS!!!!
All of my cats have had flea collars/spot on treatments. Apart from a time that I read some paper on how these products can kill your cat! Panicking I went to my Vets for treatments - Oh yes, those Vets that care so much for your animal, as long as you're paying, a LOT of money, and it wasn't as effective. I returned to collars/spot ons, as I don't like being ripped off and they are fine with them. I live in a highly cat-populated area, and they need regular flea treatments, due to one or some of our neighbours being irresponsibly pet owners
Giving your pet anything is a risk... My Bengal is allergic to salmon! No Vet told me that.
I would be very wary of giving any treatment to a kitten, but then I wouldn't let a kitten out until it is old enough and has been neutered/spayed.
Posted on 5 Nov 2013 14:21:42 GMT
E. M. Greaves says:
What product would you recommend instead?
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2013 18:04:54 GMT
Yes treatments at a vets are going to be more expensive, although you are very mislead if you believe a vet would make money from sell flea products. You are also mislead in thinking vets are all about money. If we wanted money would would have become Dr and drained the NHS like the rest of them, (I highly recommend you get a perspective on the medical field, how about you try privet health care).
If a product you get from a vets is not effective, then you have a legal case with the pharmaceutical company that produces said product. although normally the reason is incorrect use. I.e. the owner bathing the animal after a spot on, or putting the spot on on the hair rather than the skin.
There is also a difference between a food sensitivity or allergy and a genetic susceptibility to a chemical that is a know toxin. Any animal can have a sensitivity or allergy to anything in our entire solar system. Toxicity is different in that it effects the species, and is not an immune modulated issue. Below is a link to a medical Journal explaining Permethrin toxicity in cats. You will need to pay for this paper, because like all professionals that have a valid medical opinion, they must back it up with research, and this is not free!
If you still wish not knock medical data, may I suggest you enroll at vet school for 5 years, however it is a very hard degree to get on too, you may have to get you 3 A* at A level first.
Posted on 18 Mar 2014 16:18:57 GMT
Feline Furry says:
As a feline vet I am deeply disappointed that Bob Martins have not withdrawn these collars. I couldn't agree more with the above review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›