5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Elgato Game Capture HD, Xbox and PlayStation High Definition Game Recorder for Mac and PC, Full HD 1080p (Personal Computers)
Length:: 9:30 Mins

When it comes to capturing gameplay from your consoles, you want as good quality as you can get so you can show your friends or the world those amazing moments in detail.

The problem is there are so many different game captures to choose from these days such as Roxio, AverMedia, Hauppauge +more, that it can be a daunting task to choose the right one.

Whilst I can't comment on the others being bad or good due to the fact I haven't personally tried them myself, I can safely say that 'Elgato Game Capture HD' offers simple connectivity, ease of use and very high quality.

So what's in the box?:
Game Capture Device | AV Cable(PS3) | Unencrypted HDMI Cable(Xbox or use as pass-through) | Component Cable | Micro USB - USB cable.

Minimum system requirements:
* Mac: Mac OS X 10.7, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
* PC: Windows 7, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU.
* Sound card | 4 GB RAM | Built-in USB 2.0 port | You will also need an internet connection to download the software from Elgato's official website as there is no software disk included.

- - -

Setting everything up was extremely simple:

Step 1) Download the game captures software.

Step 2) Connect your console to the 'Game Capture HD' using the appropriate cable:

- PS3: You need to use the AV cable rather than HDMI cable, this is because the PS3's HDMI port is encrypted (You can still get 1080i quality).
- Xbox: Use the HDMI cable provided.

Step 3) Link the 'Game Capture HD' and HDTV together via HDMI cable.

Step 4) Insert the USB cable included to both your computer and 'Game Capture HD'.

Step 5) Load up the software.

Step 6) Turn on your console.

- IMPORTANT PS3 Information: PS3 users will need to go to their PS3 "Settings" - "Display Settings" - "Video Output Settings" - "Components / D-Terminal" - When selecting resolution, make sure "1080p" is NOT selected, only go up to "1080i".

The PS3 auto-detects when an HDMI cable is used, but it doesn't auto-detects the AV input. The way I got around this at the time was hooking the PS3 up directly to the TV(whilst AV cables were also connected to the game capture), I then went to the display settings and clicked on "Component / D-Terminal", once selected I had quickly removed the HDMI from the PS3 and connected it to the 'Game Capture HD', this solved the problem and took me 30 seconds for me to do.

Alternatively (had to find this out afterwards...) if you start the PS3 by holding the power button for around 10 seconds, it will auto-detect your output, saving you even more time.

Step 7) If there is no picture displayed on the game capture software, go to the 'Game Capture HD Settings' which can be located within the "Device" box under the "Capture" tab. The setting button is to the right-hand side and looks like a hammer and spanner crossed over. It is important to have the "Input Device" on the right settings, after selecting the right option, you should have your gaming consoles screen displayed on the software. *Note*; the software has a few seconds delay on game footage, so use your TV to play games.

Step 8) Tweak other settings if necessary, then your done!

Set-up took barely 5 minutes overall, I was very pleased with how easy it was to set-up. :)

The computer specs I used whilst using the 'Game Capture HD' software were:
* Windows 7 64-bit Operating System | Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz Processor | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Graphics Card | 12GB RAM.

First of all, the installation process was error free(always a good start), the program loads up promptly and so far I have yet to see it crash.

The layout is basic in a good way and is very easy to navigate, you have simple settings to choose from such as where you would like the gameplay recordings to be saved, the quality of the video files(which will impact the file size) and adjustments in the picture output.

As for recording gameplay, couldn't be any simpler, just press the big red button to start the recording process and press it again to stop.

To the right of the record button you have a "time-shift" bar, this is probably the best feature I have ever seen. Lets say you decided to stop recording because the game your playing is not going in your favour, then out of the blue you do the most epic thing you have every done in gaming history, which of course could not be re-created even with the highest bit of luck... well don't despair, the software keeps an ongoing backup for a certain period of time, which by using the "time-shift", you can go back in time to record that epic moment.

There is also an edit tab available, however it is very basic. Tools available are 'trim' & 'delete', it basically lets you keep the good parts and throw the bad out. For those wanting that extra editing experience, I would suggest something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (other software's available).

The final part of the edit section is a quick share where you can click on lets say "YouTube", then all you have to do is type in your account details and it uploads the video for you.

- - -

Overall I think this is a completely solid package, and whilst it may seem a tad expensive, I do feel you get your monies worth and would highly recommend!

♦ REVIEW UPDATE ♦

Since the review had initially been published, there have been several significant updates for the software:

1) Now supports 1080p.

2) Live Commentary: This is my most favourite update for the software, it lets you capture your voice by using a microphone that's connected to your computer, results are fantastic and I use it all the time.

To use, you have to enable the microphone icon and then select the microphone from the "Audio In", there is also an option which when checked, reduces the game volume as when your talking through the microphone which delivers a fantastic balance between game & microphone audio.

When you decide to stop recording using this feature, as you would before, give it 5-10 seconds after you have finished your gaming before you click to stop recording, this will ensure nothing is cut off.

3) Stream live gameplay onto websites such as Twitch.

4) You can now record from your standard definition retro gaming consoles.

5) Now confirmed it works with Nintendo Wii U via HDMI!

6) Xbox One Console will work with the Elgato.

7) Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) Wont work due to HDCP, however it was recently announced that they will sort this in an upcoming update.

- ♦ - Current software available is 'Version 1.4'. - ♦ -

Elgato Game Capture HD -VS- Hauppauge HD PVR 2 GE+
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After recently having the chance to use the HD PVR 2 GE+, I have decided to do a mini comparison below:
(+ Positive | / Neutral | - Negative).

♦ Elgato:

+ Sleek looking, very lightweight and portable.
+ Simple and clean looking software.
+ Time-shift mode (allows you to go back in-time to record the footage you've missed).
+ Advanced microphone features (Game audio dimming when talking).
+ No power adapter needed.

/ Cables aren't too long (Great for people who love less clutter, not good for people who have their devices further away).

- Requires much higher computer specs to use on your computer:
Windows 7, Windows 8 or later | 2.0 Ghz (or higher) dual core CPU, or 2.0 Ghz (or higher) multi-core i3, i5 or i7 CPU | Sound card | 4GB Total Installed RAM (or higher) | Built-in USB 2.0 port.

♦ Hauppauge:

+ PVR 2 In my opinion looks cooler, especially when the LED lights up.
+ Instant record button on the PVR 2.
+ 5.1 surround sound support via optical cable.
+ Comes with additional editing software where you can add text and effects.
+ Not too demanding on computer specs: Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 3 | PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor | 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended) | Graphics card with 256 MB memory | Sound card | USB 2.0 Port.

/ Cables are long (This for me is EXTREMELY handy for my recent set-up, but some could see this as a nuisance).

- Requires the use of a power adapter.

♦ Both:

+ They are both normally available with a similar price-tag.
+ Easy to set-up.
+ Software is simple to navigate.
+ Commentary features.

- Requires computer to be turned on to pass-through to TV.

Picking one over the other is a very hard choice because they both have their positives and both output top quality.

To date... I much prefer the Elgato software mainly down due to the advanced mic & time-shift features, but when it comes to practicality for my needs, the PVR2GE+ wins with it's longer cables, one-push record and is less resource heavy on my computer.

Both are very good contenders in the Game Capture market and both deserve 5 stars, I would recommend either one so it entirely depends on which suite your needs the most.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2012 22:42:44 BDT
Can I record PS3 games after I operated the ,,display settings,, to HDMI format and not to Component/ D - Terminal???
So basically I mean to operate the display settings to HDMI after I use HDMI cables on input and output as well so I can record my games in great quality! Is this method possible on this way????

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012 01:50:48 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Unfortunately you cannot record when using HDMI at all, something to do with the HDMI being encrypted. :|

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012 22:17:09 BDT
:( I see!
U mentioned about if u use AV cable (after u connected the PS3 to the game capture HD)then u still get the 1080i resolution quality! 1080i is still great quality, but how can u get it if u use only AV cable????
It^s strange for me cos the output is only HDMI nothing else, and input is only AV in case of PS3 recording.
Can u explain this to me more clearly please, cos I wanna make sure this capture card(which I want to buy as well)won^t be in vain for buying??????!
Thank you......!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012 07:54:11 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
It's technically a component cable that slots into the "AV" slot of the game capture, when I go to the PS3 settings I can click all the way up to 1080i and still get amazing picture (If I select 1080p, the game capture cannot process the Audio/Video, so don't select that willingly.

I'm not sure how it does it, I just know that I still get great picture on my TV and the recording output is awesome, if you want to see an example, load up my video and skip to 6:min 54seconds and you will see some gameplay examples. :)

Honestly, this game capture in my opinion is a must, my friends love it and based on other reviews from Amazon and other sites, others agree highly on this product too. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012 22:04:47 BDT
Hahahaha! All-right all-right I understand u and I think I will buy this product too namely this is the only item looks pretty cool so far. I was trying many capture cards and Recorders before but none of them gave great quality(DVD quality is not enough for me, now I want a little bit better than that).
Yeah, I was watching your video already I have seen SSFIV has very nice quality, but as matter of fact I would have been curious about quality of Tekken 6 BR cos that game^s graphic engine is really high especially when u play it on HDMI display!
Never mind, I think u convinced me so I am going to buy this little item!
Thanks for took your time to answer my questions mate u helped me out really!
See u! :D :D

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2012 01:01:08 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Really glad I could help! :)

I'm sure you'll love it, I've been using it loads recently and am still very happy with the outcome.

Also feel free to ask me a question anytime. :D

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 02:36:14 BDT
Man! I would really need your suggestion as soon as possible cos I am in trouble:
I have the Elgato Game Capture HD finally I had set up the PS3 the Laptop and the Capture Card all together. I plugged the AV cable to the game capture card I changed the display settings into Component D-Terminal and the PS3 was running on my laptop but unfortunately many problems just came up: first - the PS3 screen was in serious big input lag it was about 10 seconds lag late(impossible for normal recording). second - after 1-2 minutes the screen just disappeared and a message on game capture panel: ,,no signal, make sure the PS3 cable is plug in correctly,, etc....something like this! But I plugged everything correctly on the right places but the same crap happened again and again!
What could be the problem exactly????? :(((
I was thinking about maybe I need a component D-Terminal to PS3 cable to connect it with component cable or! I was thinking about maybe my laptop could be the problem!: it is a ,,fujitsu,, laptop with windows 7 operation system!......I dunno man but please help me cos I am really pissed off now!
At the moment I am just on to return this capture card back but it is so uncomfortable situation for me right now!!! :( :( :( :(

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 07:46:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jul 2012 08:27:27 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Hi Mario, could you start the whole set-up process again and make sure the following is done:
(I know the first few steps was definitely already done, but sometimes it's good to start from the beginning).

1) PS3 is connected to the game capture via the the AV cable which comes with it.
2) HDMI cable is connected from the game captures HDMI out port to your TV's HDMI in.
3) USB is connected from game capture to your laptop.

4) Once everything is connected, turn on your PS3 and go to the D-Terminal settings and make everything is ticked EXCEPT for '1080p' as it doesn't support that. (I have the 720 and 1080i selected only).

5) Open up the Elgato software, on the right hand side just under the big "Capture" tab, it should tell you what device your using 'Elgato Game Capture HD', there is a little settings option to the right hand side (looks like a hammer and spanner crossing each other), click on that.

6) When you've opened up the Game Capture HD settings, you need to go to the "Input Device" option and select "PlayStation 3", then press "OK".

It should be up and running after that.

Note, there will be lag on your Laptop screen, it's supposed to, you use your TV to play the game. :)

Also, have you checked your Laptop specs meet the minimum requirements?

Please let me know if this helped.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 10:56:31 BDT
OK I will check it out one more time in order as u have written here. 10 minutes....!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 11:09:27 BDT
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn....! :(
I think I detected a problem cos my laptop has 2 GB Ram capacity but the capture card require 4 GB.
Is that a problem isn^t it??? :(
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

MyKeyReviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: Hampshire, UK.