5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Alive Or Just Breathing (Audio CD)
I only recently started listening to Killswitch Engage when I saw them on Rockworld TV a few weeks ago. I saw Howard Jones belting out a live version of `The End of Heartache' (from the album of the same name) and thought that it was worth a closer listen.

Bought the album and liked all the tracks on it. Very impressed - but I could also understand why they weren't more widely know or more successful.

Anyway, I did like `The End of Heartache' and also bought `As Daylight Dies', which again is a good album. However, I was aware of the earlier work (and the previous front-man Jesse Leach) as I had read reviews by fellow fans on Amazon, with titles such as: `The death of Killswitch..."

After having listened to this album, I can only say that I whole heatedly agree with that assessment.

This album is so much more emotive, angry, brutal and engaging than the latest offerings. There are some true classics tracks contained on this CD, whereas I think the only classic on `The End of Heartache' is the track with the same name.

This is without doubt a `must have' in anyone's metal collection.

The differences between `Alive or just Breathing' and `The End of Heartache' are quite stark when you listen to them back-to-back.
`The End of Heartache' is more guitar rift driven than `Alive or just Breathing', and it is done in such a way that the rifts are the main focal point of the music and the drumming/beat are inconsequential. This gives the whole album a very `tame' feeling, despite Howard Jones' brilliant vocal work.
(Side Note: I was listening to `The End of Heartache' and my girlfriend commented "... isn't that a bit commercial?" - which says it all. Normally her ears bleed if I ever play anything `un-commercial'!!).

In contrast, `Alive or just Breathing' has much more dominant drumming, the vocals are more screaming than signing, and the rifts less dominant - which gives the album a rawer, harder - brutal feel to it.
I tend to nod my head listening to `Alive or just Breathing' much more than I would to `The End of Heartache'.

I can't even count the number of times I have listened to this album since I bought it (about a week ago). I am, at the moment, listening to it repeatedly (whilst trying to fix my bloody IPod) and it just gets better and better.

If you are a fan of metal, buy this album and enjoy every minute of it.
Albums like this don't come up very often.

[Add comment]