2.0 out of 5 stars If cheap crap needed an Avatar, this would be it's Champion., 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Trixie Natural Living Animal Toy Seesaw, 32 × 7 × 14 cm (Misc.)
I had the good fortune to inherit a Guinea Pig, a cute little critter I named Scampi. Having bought him a cage, I needed some items for it as I was worried he would get bored when left alone during the day. I figured a see-saw wouldn't provide him with much fun, but it would fill his cage out a bit, and give him some furniture to nibble on.

My mistake.

This is an incredibly cheap product. It consists of 4 parts, the see-saw, the 2 sides and a base. The 2 sides attach to the base by way of 4 small wooden pegs, 2 per side which need to be glued into position.

First of all, the holes drilled into the wood go far too deep, such that when the pegs were inserted and the sides were (attempted to be) attached, the pegs were pushed further into the holes.

Secondly, the incredibly small amount of glue provided just isn't equal to the task. It comes in a 'squeezy bottle', much like ketchup, but there was barely any glue in it, so squeezing it only pushed the air out. I had to cut it open with a kitchen knife to get to the glue. After that, I dipped the wooden pegs into the glue and inserted them into the base.

More or less 24 hours later, when I attempted to attach the sides to the base, the pegs ended up inside the base (again). Either the glue is far too weak, or the holes have been drilled with too large a diameter (and far too deeply), and there isn't enough glue to make it work. In the end, I used a hammer and a dozen nails to assemble it.

The see-saw part, is nothing more than a piece of wood with a hole drilled through the (supposed) centre, with a small piece of very thin dowel inserted as the axis. Firstly, the dowel had been pushed in too far, so when I added it to the base, each time I put Scampi onto it, it collapsed due to the imbalance (poor Scampi got such a fright). So I used a pair of pliers to even it out, and attached it once again. It stayed up this time, however I noticed that it was rubbing against the sides. On further inspection, the hole that had been drilled, where the dowel was inserted, wasn't at 90 degrees to the length of the wood. I considered shaving the edges off, but Scampi didn't seem to like it, and I had lost patience with it, so I threw it in the bin instead.

In summary, this is an incredibly cheap product, which will require that you make it work yourself. In truth, I'm a crap carpenter, but I could have done a better job than this for a lot less cash.

Buy at your own risk.