5.0 out of 5 stars A simple and effective slide scanner, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Epson Perfection V370 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology - slides, film and negatives (Accessory)
I am really pleased with this purchase.
So far, I have scanned in over 500 transparencies dating from 1972. There are plenty more to do! I haven't scanned any photos yet. I am a bit worried that the V370 not cope with some old over-sized slides, I haven't fully explored it's capabilities, so there may be a way.
The scanner scans 4 slides at a go. You need to be patient and nimble-fingered to press the slides into the flat plastic 'cradle' which holds the slides in the correct position. and make sure they are oriented in landscape, front down and upside down. This is hard enough, but when you remove the 'cradle', It is easy for plastic framed slides to drop out, so you risk finger contact with the glass scanner platform.
My results have been good. Dust and fibres are the most common problem, and I use a Jessop's rocket blower to blow the slides as clean as I can. This can get pretty tiring for your puffing arm, but at least it does no more damage to the slides.
A small number of the slides which were frequently viewed 30 or so years ago, have scratches and/or slight fungal damage from contact with someone's fingers, and I will attempt to use Photostudio or similar to clean those up.
The software is supposed to identify and neutralize specks, but either it isn't very effective, I need better glasses, I have exceptionally big specks, or my puffing is just of a very high standard.
It really pays to devise a system to deal with massed slides. I set up my slide projector, scanner and PC within reach and arranged flat surfaces to make 4-stacks of clean slides, and re-box the scanned slides. I had a bag at hand for the many rejected slides.
Although more expensive scanners may offer greater automation and more powerful software, this scanner is very fairly priced, not too complicated and enables you to re-capture a large chunk of your past. Were we really that good-looking?

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]