5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV this - However!!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Samsung UE40EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi Ready (New for 2012) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Had this exact TV for almost two weeks now and it is absolutely fantastic. My only complaint is that is is advertised with "Built-in Wi-Fi" .. it is not!! Very disappointed on setting it all up and finding that I'd have to spend £40 (up to £70) to buy a Wi-Fi dongle if I wanted to use Wi-Fi.
In the end I opted for a pair of 200Mbs Powerline plugs (£40) and use the ethernet port on the TV. This you don't have to mess with setting up wifi security on the TV and also frees up the USB port that would use the wifi dongle. It is also faster than Wi-Fi. The other option of course is to just run an ethernet cable to the TV.
I've used a cheap Argos wireless mouse with it, also a standard wired Dell keyboard on the TV without any issues.
Still, the TV is worthy of a 5 star rating.

Edit: Note, at the time this was originally listed it was advertised with "Built in Wi-Fi" .. I'm glad Amazon have amended this to prevent others from being misled.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 May 2012 13:56:23 BDT
Just wondering, can you get Netflix?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 14:21:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2012 12:22:40 BDT
RFC1795 says:
Yes, the Netflix app is already installed on it ... not tried it myself as it required registering with a credit card. But may still do and try the 1 month free offer then cancel. Great TV so far, am really enjoying it and the Smart TV stuff.

Update: (12.06.2012) I signed up for the Netflix trial about two weeks ago .. since then we've not watched any normal TV :-P .. looks like it's a keeper for £5.99/m ... but, it really is like browsing through old DVD's in a charity shop in a way. Loads we've seen already, but quite a few older ones we've missed that have turned out pretty good. Kids are always on it watching stuff so it's worth keeping I expect.

Posted on 31 May 2012 16:21:20 BDT
Sl Alexander says:
I was just looking on samsungs website and looking at the picture of the back there is no Lan connection or optical.
Is the Lan connection somewhere else and is there an optical out at all?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 16:56:55 BDT
RFC1795 says:
There is indeed a RJ-45 Ethernet port on there which is what I've decided to use with Powerline adapters for my internet connection rather than using a USB port with the wifi dongle.
There is also a optical DVI audio input port ... and a digital audio optical output port.. (I just had a look).

They're two different style/shaped ports and I've not a lot of knowledge in this area as yet ... but the output audio port is sort of squared shaped, and the DVI input is round. Hope that helps :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 21:37:01 BDT
The DVI audio input takes a standard male 3.5mm stereo jack.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 09:05:24 BDT
RFC1795 says:
Thanks for that Michael, good to know :-)

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 11:45:12 BDT
numskull says:
It says "wifi ready", not "wifi enabled" or similar. This means it's able to deal with wifi using suitable additional equipment, like the old "HD ready" certification.

There are relatively few wifi tvs but I'm sure this will become the norm before long, like the inclusion of HD tuners. They are always slow to give you everything you want, probably in part to keep down the headline price and to meet production schedules but perhaps more cynically to keep you having a reason to buy the next thing.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 12:57:11 BDT
A. Casey says:
Is there any dramatic loss in quality when viewing from an angle?
we have two sofa's one which will be in-front and another a little off to the left of the television.
I'm trying to choose a new set and i'm being put told to look out for this problem on leds?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2012 11:55:30 BDT
RFC1795 says:
I notice a slight wash of colours if trying to view it at an extreme angle. I think the best thing really is to try view one instore if you can. I know Tesco had this model on display so I'd seen it there before I got mine. Might not be the ideal place to try look test, but should give you a general idea how good or bad it is.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2012 15:34:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2012 15:35:22 BDT
RFC1795 says:
Numskull, just to be clear ... the original description of this model was: "Samsung UE40EH5300 40-inch Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Built-in Wi-Fi (New for 2012)" ... Amazon have clearly changed it. I even have email proof of this as I'm sure others do if they search through their emails.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›