5.0 out of 5 stars First Class DVD/VHS/HDD Combination, 12 July 2012
This review is from: Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder (Electronics)
I purchase this DVD/VHS/HDD 3 in 1 to replace my old equipment when we decided to do a full room make over and purchase a new Toshiba Led TV. I originally had a separate DVD player, a separate VHS recorder and a separate DVD recorder, I decided to purchase the Toshiba RDXV60 to match with the LED TV. One of the advantages of the unit is it's ability to receive freeview+ programs that allow you to freeze live TV when someone calls or when you want to get a cup of tea or a drink, although I have virgin cable TV with HD I have found that the RDXV60 is ever bit as good if not better than the quality reception of the cable HD digital broadcast. The added advantage is the fact that I have only the RDXV60 and the cable box and I have gone from a large entertainment unit to a neat smaller unit that does not take up half the room.

I have found the RDXV60 to be a trouble free and very high quality piece of technology, as I have been using it for about a year now and apart from the initial learning curve there have been no problems at all. The control interface is very simple and the timer control is so easy that once you get the hang of it you have very little problems. The majority of the time I just record directly to the 320GB HD (hard disk) which is virtually one button recording and if I find that I wish to keep a copy of the recording I can make a copy to the DVD recorder. When programming to record you can select the quality of the recording that you require i.e. XP, SP, LP, EP and SLP these have a significant effect on the space you use for recording and what space remains for future recording. When I first started using the Hard Disc for recording I always used it in the XP, but I soon found that this reduced the amount that I could record on the HD, I eventually found that recording with SP saved a lot of disc space, but also the quality of the recording was just as good, now I only use SP unless I want additional high quality to save on the HD and then transfer from the HD to the DVD recorder.

One of the main reasons that I opted for a unit containing a VHS player/recorder was to be able watch and to save original VHS recordings and transfer them to the HD in XP then save them to the DVD also the ability to reproduce family video is an added bonus. With the RDXV60 you can copy directly from VHS to either DVD or the hard disk, but as I have stated I prefer to copy directly to the HD in XP high quality then to the DVD in XP, by doing this you are copying at the highest quality with no loss whatsoever of any resolution.

Another advantage of the RDXV60 is the ability to record directly to the HD or VHS from any source while watching a DVD, although I don't think that I will ever use the VHS record facility of the unit due to the method of recording to tape as DVD and HD recording is far superior. The DVD player will also upscale a normal DVD quality to the 1080 resolution and so far I have not come across any DVD that the player will not play, unlike my original DVD recorder or player that often would not play a borrowed or rented DVD for no apparent reason.

I have found the RDXV60 to be first class offering very high quality output at a very reasonable price, I can only go on my experience, but I would recommend the unit to anyone who is in the market for a very good quality DVD/VHS/HDD recorder, highly recommended at a very reasonable price.

I have updated this review to include the following details, I have now used the RDXV60 for 18 months or so now and have used quite a proportion of the functions that the machine has to offer, I have found that the editing functions are very simple to use, but also the results are spot on. Recently I actually ran out of space on my HDD and looked through what was recorded, I was amazed to find that there were over a 120 programs recorded, so I decided to record some of the series that I had recorded to DVD. I found that editing the programs to remove the adverts and breaks was very straightforward and the results were seamless, I then would record them to DVD and finalise them. The programs that have been recorded to DVD are as good in every way to the original recording on the HDD, but please note that the recording quality that I used was always SP (Standard Play), you can if you wish use an extended method of recording, but be warned the more you expand the recording time of a DVD the lower the quality of the video and sound results, but this depends on your own individual needs, see page 28 of the manual. I suggest that if you are going to record a program or a series of programs, you firstly record a sample program to the DVD, then compare it to the program that you have recorded from on the HDD before committing yourself to the recording time. I have found that the best quality to record programs to the HDD is SP, and likewise to transfer them to a DVD. Initially I was recording everything in XP which is the best quality, but I found that this halved the capacity of the HDD and also the DVD, I reserve XP when I am transferring a VHS onto the HDD, but I then use XP to save the the recording onto a DVD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2012 13:55:28 BDT
pompeyman says:
excellent and informative review. Am thinking of buying this myself, however a bit concerned the VHS will suddenly stop working as with my Toshiba rd-xv48dtkb HDD & DVD/VCR model. Despite hardly ever watching a VHS tape, and never recording on it, the VHS part just stopped working without warning after about 18 months (didnt take extended warranty of course!). The tape appears to be going round but there is no picture or sound. The HDD and DVD continue to work perfectly. I have been told by several people that this is a common fault with combi machines. If I buy I will take out the extended warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 10:38:11 BDT
Techman-st says:
Thank you for your comments on my review of the Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder, I too have used the VHS recorder very little in the time I have had the combi, but I did take out the Square Trade Extended Warranty Plus Accident protection for the RDXV60. The warranty will at least give you some peace of mind, unfortunately the Warranty was only available for 3 years as opposed to 5 Years for a TV.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 01:36:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2012 02:28:42 GMT
Techman-st

You say that one of the advantages of the RDXV60 is its ability to receive Freeview HD programmes- this is incorrect. I have just bought the RDXV60 combie myself and it cannot receive the three HD channels available in my area, whereas I CAN receive these three HD channels by simply bypassing the RDXV60 and plugging the TV aerial direct into my HD set.

I have only had mine a week and mainly bought it because it is becoming increasingly hard to buy new VCR players. However, I think your review is too optimistic. First letdown: I can only connect it to my Freesat HD recorder box with a SCART cable, which I have now discovered is analogue, not digital. There is a very noticeable depreciation in the picture quality compared to connecting my Freesat HD box direct to the TV. Second letdown: The inclusion of a USB terminal on the front of the machine gave me reasonable expectations that I would be able to transfer TV recordings to/from the Toshiba via a flash drive and maybe play other TV recordings made on my Freesat box. Unfortunately no hope. It seems you cannot transfer TV recordings on/off via a flash drive and even more disappointing- it cannot even recognise any video recordings on my flash drive. Third letdown: trying to set a TV programme to record via the EPG is awkward because it will only start and finish the recording at the scheduled time. However, many programmes start or finish earlier or later. On my Freesat recorder, this can be easily overcome by altering the settings so that all programmes start recording at, say, five minutes before the scheduled start time and end at, say, five minutes after the scheduled time. However, I have yet to find a way of altering these recording settings on the Toshiba. Therefore, if you have selected a TV programme from the EPG and set it to record, but then decide to play safe and alter the start/end time in case it overuns, I cannot find a way of doing that, other than to delete the scheduled programme altogether and re-enter it all again as a manual recording. This is very frustrating.

I have several more gripes but I'll leave it there for now. So far I would give this machine about 5 out of 10, which, considering I paid well over £300 for it is just not good enough, but at least I can play my old VHS cassette tapes again and transfer the contents to the Hard Drive.

All the best,

Jerry.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 15:37:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2012 13:10:34 GMT
Techman-st says:
Hi Jerry

Firstly I do apologise for the slip regarding free HD programs, I have now removed the reference to HD and added that with Freeview+ you can freeze live TV if someone calls or you want to make tea etc.

With reference to your problem regarding the quality of your picture when connected via a SCART cable, I too am connected to my TV with a SCART cable and also to my cable box as the RDXV60 provides only 1 HDMI output socket and this I use to connect to my TV as probably you are too. The only advice I can give is the SCART cables that I am using are as short as I can possibly obtain and also they are high quality gold connectors with a extra thick quality screening, also when running them in try to avoid where possible any mains cables as these can induce noise. Also it may be that your signal is not as good as is should be, mine certainly wasn't and I had to use a Philex 27822R SLx 2-Way Aerial Distribution Amplifier to improve the signal strength, I am sending 1 boosted signal to the TV and 1 to the RDXV60.

I can assure you that the signal is excellent if I am watching a broadcast on the RDXV60 or the TV or the cable in fact the TV and the RDXV60 are the better of the 3 and I still stand by my review that the quality of the Toshiba is as good as you can get for the money. Prior to using the Toshiba TV and the RDXV60 I would always be watching the cable box as it was superior quality than the original freeview box or the analogue TV broadcast, but as I say now the cable box is only used when there is something on that is not on freeview.

Now to your problem with the overlapping of program times with starting times, there is an easy fix to this as you can record with the RDXV60 using a timer mode if you wish as I sometimes use this method when recording from cable while I am watching a TV program.

Press SET UP on your RDXV60 remote control
You will be in the SET UP Menu scroll down to option 2 TIMER PROGRAMMING and press ENTER/OK
You are now in the TIMER PROGRAMMING SCREEN press ENTER/OK
You will now be in the main TIMER PROGRAMMING SCREEN press ENTER/OK
The cursor will now be in the DATE position, enter the date of the recording then move the cursor to the >START TIME
Enter the START TIME then move the cursor to the >END TIME Note:- (You can vary the time to cater for programme overlap)
Enter the END TIME then move the cursor to >DVB
Select the DVB you want to record then move the cursor to >REC TO (RECORD TO)
Select VHS/HDD/DVD then move the cursor to >MODE
Select the Recording Quality MODE you require press > to go to STTL select only if you require subtitles
Then press ENTER/OK, the programme setting will be stored

NOTE:- For more indebt information can be found on pages 33 & 34 of your Owners Manual

Once again I apologise for the slip regarding HD and I hope the advice above can assist you in obtaining the results that you desire for your system.

Best regards and good luck

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 02:21:19 GMT
JPM says:
Thanks Techman-st for that very in depth reply to my original message. I am now getting a bit more used to my Toshiba combie. My original Scart cables were not gold-plated so I have taken your advice and replaced them. For the connection between my Humax satellite box and my Toshiba, I am now using an 'advanced flat scart cable' by SHQ (1.2 metres) with gold contacts. To be honest, I don't see a huge amount of difference from the old cables, but I think that with hindsight, the deterioration in picture quality from my satellite box to the Toshiba was way overstated by me originally, as I was probably expecting the exact same quality as I get by watching programmes directly from the Humax to my TV (with HDMI connection). I was probably wrong to describe the problem as "very noticeable". I am now satisfied with the picture quality and have transferred a few recordings over from my Humax to the Toshiba. I have also just succeeded for the first time in recording content from an old VHS videotape onto the Toshiba's hard drive and then transferring it onto a DVD, finalising it and then playing it back on my laptop. This was a major ambition of mine as I just couldn't do that with old recordings until now.

I have also followed your advice about using the Timer Recording mode. I tend to use that all the time rather than the EPG, which I find disappointing. I have noticed that the Toshiba EPG often has less programme information available than the equivalent Freeview EPG available via my Sony Bravia TV. I don't know whether that is because the Toshiba isn't set to download programmes as often or if the tuner is just not as good as the Sony Bravia's. For ease of setting up recordings, I still much prefer the Humax- and it also has 'Timeshift', enabling me not just to pause live TV but to rewind up to two hours back. Sadly the Toshiba can't do that. Another minor gripe is the location of the pause button on the remote control two levels below the play button, making it awkward to switch between pause and play without hitting the wrong button. They should have these two buttons much closer to each other. I also have trouble finding out how much space I have left on the hard drive. I haven't managed to find this information yet but it is early days. Another moan is that if I record a programme with the subtitles switched on, I can then only play it back with the subtitles on. There seems to be no way of turning them off. However, when recording a programme on my Humax, the subtitle information is automatically included, but when you play the recording back, you can CHOOSE to either watch it with the subtitles on or off.

Overall I am happier though. For playing back old VHS tapes and recording them onto the Toshiba hard drive, it seems to do the job perfectly well and this is probably the main reason why most customers have chosen this model over others that don't include a VHS tape deck. Given the complete lack of choice nowadays when trying to find a new machine that can play VHS tapes and record the contents onto a hard drive or DVD, I am more than prepared to put up with the Toshiba's shortcomings.

Jerry.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2014 18:14:56 GMT
StormSworder says:
That may have been the case back in 2012, but the new Toshiba VHS/DVD machines do not work. Don't waste your time.

Posted on 30 Oct 2014 12:58:51 GMT
S W. says:
Hello, you seem to be very knowlegable so I wonder if you can assist us?
We have a Samsung tv and a Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder.
We have connected it via an HDMI cable and the arial from the wall.
It only seems to respond to the TV remote, not the Toshiba.
If we use the tv remote to select a program to record from the guide it shows the clock symbol but then we cannot play it back as the toshiba remote does not seem to work.
As you will guess we are not very technical.
We have checked the batteries in the Toshiba remote.
Any ideas, please?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2014 13:59:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Nov 2014 14:12:26 GMT
JPM says:
Actually I'm not that knowledgeable, I'm afraid, SW! However, I'll try to help as best I can.

First thing to say is that I have no experience of using my TV's remote to control my Toshiba RDXV60, or vice versa, so I can't say too much about that. I use my TV remote for my TV and my Toshiba remote for my Toshiba. However, on page 18 of the Toshiba RDXV60KB Owner's Manual, where it describes using an HDMI compatible port, it says, amongst other things: "Among the devices that support HDMI, some devices can control other devices via the HDMI connector; however, this unit cannot be controlled by another device via the HDMI connector." Maybe this helps to explain the difficulties using your TV remote to control the Toshiba via HDMI.

However, it seems that the main question is why your Toshiba remote is not controlling the Toshiba in the first place. Does the remote work at all? For example, does it switch the unit off when you press the red on/standby button in the top right hand corner? If it can't even do that and there is no sign of power from the remote at all then maybe the remote is the problem. However, if it can switch the Toshiba off then maybe the problem is elsewhere. Are you sure that when trying to use your Toshiba, your TV is set to the correct external source? For example, my Toshiba is connected to the TV with both separate HDMI and Scart cable connections. When I switch the Toshiba on, my TV automatically switches over to the Toshiba Scart connection external source, AV2. However, I also have a Freesat PVR recorder separately connected to my TV via HDMI and when I switch that Freesat PVR device on, I still have to manually use the TV remote to change the external source over to the relevant HDMI connection for my Freesat, say HDMI2, before I can watch my Freesat recordings. Therefore make sure that your TV is tuned to the correct HDMI external source to match your Toshiba before trying to use the controls on your Toshiba remote. Also don't forget that you have to make sure that if you want to play back or make recordings from the Toshiba's hard drive, for example, that it is set to hard drive (HDD) rather than to DVD (green button) or video (VCR - orange button). In this case, you would press the light blue HDD button on the Toshiba remote to make sure that it is indeed set to the hard drive. Once set to HDD, pressing the red REC button near the bottom right of the Toshiba remote SHOULD then start a recording of whatever channel you are watching. You can tell it's recording because a little red light displays on the right side of the Toshiba front panel and the timer starts showing the length of the recording.

Let us know if your problem is more complicated than this. If it can't be solved here then there are always other forums where you might get a better response.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (249 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £245.00