5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: DW 2.0: The Architecture for the Next Generation of Data Warehousing (Morgan Kaufman Series in Data Management Systems) (Paperback)
After working on more than a half a dozen of DW projects using Kimball methodology I started to see repeating challenges which lead to decisions or thoughts that I wouldn't classify as Kimball approach. I thought it is the right thing to do but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I thought it is time to check Inmon point of view.

Inmon tries to create a definition of DW 2.0 and I was positively surprised that many examples match my experience and decisions that I didn't feel comfortable with are actually important part of DW 2.0.

Probably the most interesting part for me was that I agree with many aspects (not all) of DW 2.0 but actually my experience is only Kimball which shows quite a significant overlap. The book doesn't go into design details where more distinct differences could be made.

If I compare it to Kimball I would say DW 2.0 is most applicable to large DW which is also what Inmon focuses on in his examples. What I learnt indirectly about Kimball is that it focuses on design and does not try to go into details of other important aspects of building a DW which are outside of the design; Inmon on the other hand does talk about it which I found very useful.

Am I going to use Inmon now? I might use some concepts like interactive area for real time DW (which is rather a pain) and be more flexible with design for instance include exploration area and use Inmon Data Mart approach for Power Users needs but I will most likely stick to Kimball with his Data Mart definition for core DW development but that is largely due to projects I do. For large implementations where people are not at a stage of learning what is a data warehouse I will most likely consider Inmon approach...maybe not all of it but large part that was presented in this book.

Take care
Emil

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]