4.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for business and pleasure, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: LG G Pad 8.3-inch Tablet - White (Quad Core 1.7GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera) (Personal Computers)
UPDATE TO REVIEW 13/06/2014...

The screen responsiveness is amazing, and I now get really frustrated with the Tesco Hudls and my Samsung phone. Kit-kat 4.4.2 update arrived and the tablet feels even smoother and first impressions are that it is much more memory efficient than previous OS. At first I thought battery had also improved, but now two months down the line, I'm pretty sure it's no better, or marginally worse. Not a gamechanger though.

The big problem with Kit-kat remains the inability to modify files on the Ext SD. Hang your head in shame Google - and to a lesser extent LG for not warning their customers about this. The fix remains workable - move docs you want to edit to a My Docs file on the internal memory and use that as default folder for word, excel etc type apps. That doesn't help with modifying details on MP3 though where the online database misses a field and albums are split up. In order to update those, it's back to the laptop, unmount SD, stick in laptop, copy over the modified MP3, remount SD in tablet. Pain in the backside.

I'm still pleased with the tablet and have lost count of the number of people who have complimented its aesthetics, but this issue has slightly detracted from the package IMHO.

The wi-fi signal is very much better than the other tablets and phones which we have, and it never disconnects, unlike my Samsung phone which specialises in wifi hokey-cokey. Noted on another review on Amazon that the backlighting becomes obvious at the bottom of the screen in portrait at 30% brightness. That was true and although it didn't bother me much, I did notice it when using Kindle app. However, I've just tried to replicate the problem for this updated review and can't manage to do so. Down to 10% brightness and with Kindle auto brightness either on or off I can't see the previously obvious backlights. No idea why but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW...

Build quality of the G pad is superb and it looks stunning. Very similar feel to the iPad mini but less wide and IMHO a fair bit easier to hold. The aluminium back is nice to the touch and it is extremely well balanced and light in the hand, which makes it perfect for e-reading. My last tablet was 7" and I love the extra screen real estate on this. Haven't noticed any issues at all in apps scaling up to larger screen from phone versions and I have about 80 installed.

USB 'on the go' works fine and no app required. It just automatically recognises the USB stick, which effectively gives you a huge extra dollop of memory for nothing, or for the trivial cost of a micro USB 'OTG' cable. Just remember to unmount the USB stick - I didn't and got an electronic slap on the wrist from my new toy! Although it doesn't have an HDMI out slot, you can get a Slimport adaptor to do the job regardless.

The screen was reported as lower ppi and brightness than nexus 7 and iPad mini. Can't say I've noticed any issues whatsoever. From my perspective it's pin sharp and even with brightness set at 40% to preserve battery and prevent eyestrain, the screen looks stunning and colours are vibrant.

Speed of the unit is superb. No lag anywhere, despite LG overlay on pure Android. It downloaded myriad apps and installed them whilst I was setting up a variety of other accounts and googling a couple of things. And it was like lightning throughout. There is a great task manager with the device and it tends to show 300-500Mb free at any given time. This unit is just so much faster than either my old tablet (HTC Flyer) or the Tesco Hudls which we have in the house.

The LG installed software is a mixed bag. I thought Qpair would be really useful but haven't used it in practice. Qslide is OK but generally I disable it, so that tells its own story,and the remote control is for me a bit useless as it will control TV and DVD / Blu Ray but I can't find a way to extend to satellite box or hi-fi (although have seen images online of it doing this, so a bit frustrating that I can't figure it out!). Double tap on / off is fine but not a great leap forward for mankind in all honesty and it can be a bit temperamental. The packaged notebook app (as opposed to the small memo app on Qslide) looks good but I still can't see past Evernote which remains my default notebook, backed up by Wunderlist for "to-do's". There is a great swipe keyboard built in but it's not enabled by default so you don't need to buy one - just enable it in settings.

Sound quality using the tablet as the source through hifi is IMHO a bit listless and lacking in detail, with noticeable drop in quality compared to uncompressed music on the CD player (which you'd expect). It's fine for Spotify background music, and sounds OK on headphones (Sennheiser earphones CX870 are a decent match - quite bright, lacking base, but they offset somewhat the slightly muddy sound from the tablet). I wouldn't want to rely on it as my sole source of music but I do plug it into the hifi when I'm feeling lazy and just want a playlist. Incidentally, it's noticeably worse as a source than iPod Touch 4th gen. Don't even think about playing music through the tablet's little speakers (not that it's any worse than any other tablet in that regard).

Battery life is decent. So far I've found 7.5 hours on constant wi-fi and installing apps etc for setting up the device, with screen on constantly. I think that's pretty good and acceptable for me. With intermittent wi-fi for checking emails and also reading with kindle app it's 9-10 hours. Again, absolutely fine. Although bear in mind that's 40% brightness. I also use Juice Defender Plus which helps, although there are also battery savers in-built.

Because it's relatively new there are fewer accessories than for nexus or ipad, but I see on here that more are arriving all the time, and the Duragadget neoprene case available on Amazon is a good fit.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]