2.0 out of 5 stars Too much information, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Before the Year Dot (Hardcover)
Why do famous people feel the need to give so much detail about their childhood in their autobiographies? No one is interested really, I don't want to know about their grand parents struggles since the 1900s or the family that lived next door or what their nickname for their third step-sister's cousin was.... what I really want to know is how they became famous and how their lives have panned out since. Is it just me who feels that way?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Nov 2013 13:53:04 GMT
plane_co says:
It may not be "just you", but I am certainly interested in what makes the person, not just what made them famous.

Posted on 6 Nov 2013 20:59:43 GMT
C. boxall says:
I quite agree. It's nice to go back to peoples roots. Thats what a biography is about.. Their life.. We can read how people become famous in magazines!

Posted on 7 Nov 2013 12:42:42 GMT
I completely disagree Mrs A. People's early lives are often by far the most interesting parts of Celebrety autobiographies. All too often the latter parts of books become a mere list of "I did this, I did that" This review has actully made me want to read the book so in a sense has been helpful

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2013 17:29:34 GMT
J. Sheffield says:
Like the others I also disagree with the review by Mrs A, I have never read a real autobiography that did not feature childhood etc, perhaps young so called wrongly celebs today have no real life to talk about except their five minutes of stardom. June is a really classic actress and a treasure, great book!

Posted on 9 Nov 2013 17:52:52 GMT
At 87 June Brown is sharp, quick witted and quite amazing, check her interview with Graham Norton 8th Nov and Lady Gaga was clearly impressed. June Brown is who she is today from the varied experiences of her life from day one so clearly very relevant and why it is a biography. How can you say no one is really interested when it is very evident that avid biography readers are very interested in the whole story and this is why we read them.

Posted on 15 Nov 2013 12:08:15 GMT
Cal Roscow says:
Why did you buy her autobiography if you didn't want to know about her life?

Posted on 16 Nov 2013 23:29:55 GMT
What a ridiculous review.

Posted on 20 Nov 2013 15:50:00 GMT
Amii says:
Like most other repliers to this comment I disagree with Mrs A. Its books like this that contains stories of childhood, parents, grand parents etc that give me an insight into how my own ancestors lived and the difficulties they faced. It gives me something in common with the author / subject, a connection that makes me want to know more about them.

I think the title of the book gave away that fact that its about her life BEFORE she become Dot Cotton, so if that's something you don't want to know about why buy the book??

Posted on 20 Nov 2013 18:22:17 GMT
Totally disagree with Mrs A, I believe autobiography by definition are of a person`s account of their life, so I fail to see why this reader would assume that her life started as June Brown became famous. This lady had such an enriched life before her celebrity status, in a time that a lot of us have no real insight of. It would be a real shame to exclude it for the shallowness of just post celebrity status life accounts, all of which can be read in the nearest street magazine.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2013 13:54:33 GMT
I also disagree with Mrs A-what a shallow opinion! Everyone has an interesting story to tell about their lives, whether they are famous or not! I am hopefully getting the book as a Christmas present and I am hoping it will be about her childhood and her life before Eastenders- after all, there is a lot more to June Brown than the character she plays and her fame. I think we should all write an autobiography to pass down to our families, I'm sure we could all learn something from the experiences of our elders.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (94 customer reviews)

£20.00 £16.59