2.0 out of 5 stars Very good at giving my fine hair thickness, but leaves my scalp ablaze!, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo 250 ml (Personal Care)
I have a full head of hair but after carrying out the quiz on the Alpecin website I was convinced that it could be used as a preventative measure to future baldness.

My hair has always been quite fine, greasy and often difficult to manage. In using this shampoo daily for about a year my hair was transformed and became much thicker, brighter/easier to manage.

However, it has dried my scalp badly and I started to suffer dandruff, which I never have before. I then started to develop scabs on my head in a few minor places which were the result of serious dryness that eventually caused psoriasis.

I have since stopped using the shampoo for 2 weeks and my scalp has returned to usual health. I decided to only use Alpecin 1 to 2 times a week to maintain the thickness benefits, but given that they advise daily use to prevent shredding I doubt this can be used as a baldness cure.

Given that it causes serious scalp dryness, it cannot be used as a daily shampoo by me for long either. Those who have no side-effects should continue,but for me I cannot endorse using this having experienced such unpleasant side effects.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Sep 2011 20:38:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Sep 2011 02:50:59 BDT
All conventional shampoos including this one do severely de-grease your hair! Since it takes up to 48 hours for your body to give your hair it's natural protective oils back washing it daily is inevitably causing dandruff and all sorts of problems to your scalp... That's totall overkill whatever shampoo you use! Use this stuff every 3 to 4 days and you may find it's actually not that bad.

Posted on 1 Jan 2014 15:05:24 GMT
this is really helpful. I have really fine hair but have suffered psoriasis on my scalp in my adolescence. I was considering using Alpecin to strengthen my hair, but having read this, I couldnt think of anything worse than a scalp full of sore and dry patches. This has changed my decision and i will know focus on the Biotin and B Complex vitamins. I will also add nuts and more fish to my diet.

many thanks

Posted on 7 Jun 2014 11:17:49 BDT
1966 says:
you shouldn't be using shampoo daily in any case, surely common sense would dicate that you don't use it every day for over a year.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2014 12:03:56 BDT
Tom Hughes says:
Erm not when it clearly states "daily hair wash" on the back of bottle! Besides there are plenty of shampoos that I can use daily without causing such problems.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (160 customer reviews)

6.98