3.0 out of 5 stars INITIAL DISAPPOINTMENT... WARMED UP LATER, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite (Electronics)
I enjoyed immensely my K2 Kindle and loaded plenty of books onto it until it unfortunately had a screen malfunction. After researching the new models I bought myself this keyboardless version. It feels and looks good...

My first disappointment was that the new model had no Whispernet. Having inherited the old Kindle from a friend, my understanding was that this managed to log onto wifi networks without a password, and this always worked well for me eg on holiday. I loved it. I was therefore dismayed when the new model didn't do this. After much chat with commentators (see below) I reckon probably the old K2 actually had a sim-card and was picking up the data from 3G without my knowledge (tho' I could have sworn it only ever did this within range of a wifi zone...). So my disappointment that the new model didn't do this was unfounded; and I've amended this review (from * to ***). ("Here at 100wordreviewer, we listen...")

My second disappointment was that I can't get the new K4 to log onto my home wifi system. Every time I try to log on, the Kindle makes my whole wireless system crash, so I'm without wifi for ten minutes for my computer, phone etc until I've managed to set it up again.

I've since managed to connect with a lead to my desktop Apple and have loaded plenty of books that way. Given the nice build, size and feel of the new model I'm now a pretty happy customer, except for the connectivity issue.

If anyone has any idea why attempts to log on makes my wifi system crash I'd welcome advice on that too. One commentator has suggested I need to update the software on my router (an 18 month-old AirTies 4450); but this is at the limits of my technical ability; I'm reluctant to risk messing up the router; and it seems odd that all other wireless devices work fine. Others suggest the K4 unit I have may be a dud. Ideas welcome!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Nov 2011 21:59:02 GMT
Anya Brienza says:
The clue is in the title Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display if you want whispernet then you need the Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, 6" E Ink Display model. So when you said "After researching the new models thoroughly I bought myself this keyboardless version. It feels and looks good... but has one catastrophic failing - no Whispernet!" You clearly have failings in your research. Perhaps your research warrants the 1 star and not the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2011 22:10:02 GMT
Thanks Mitch - but I'll go for the * Kindle - or maybe the * Kindle marketing. All the previous Kindles had Whispernet. The fact is that Amazon has removed this feature from this model. Nor does the title of the more expensive model say anything about Whispernet.

Any thoughts on why the Kindle makes my wifi crash welcome - I have an AirTies 4-Port Router.

Posted on 13 Nov 2011 10:18:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Nov 2011 10:35:41 GMT
You've misunderstood things!
You obviously had previous experience of a 3G model and I think the published blurbs make it clear this device doesn't have it - by NOT mentioning it in the description and by referring to it in the keyboard model. No none 3G model will connect unless connected to your own or another wi-fi network. But K4 HAS Whispernet!
Why you should be having problems with your own K4 in relation to set up is beyond me: you obviously have experience of setting up devices, so why this won't work for you is a mystery. I'm not especially technical, but my new K4 set up so easily and downloading (via Whispernet) is a doddle - almost too easy - with the slight limitations of on screen keyboard use which can be a little clunky to get used to.

You have a dud, I would say, or a system problem at home. Ask customer services.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 10:37:57 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 13 Nov 2011 10:38:20 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 10:41:14 GMT
SJ thanks for this. Nope, the previous version was not 3G, it had no connectivity outside a wifi zone. But it connected with wifi without any logging on or passwords. I thought that was the whole point of Whispernet. But maybe I have indeed misunderstood things.

I'll indeed contact customer services about the K4/wifi problem

Have just downloaded a bunch of book by USB cable so am feeling somewhat mollified.

Posted on 13 Nov 2011 15:15:44 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Nov 2011 20:04:23 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 20:59:11 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 13 Nov 2011 20:59:26 GMT]

Posted on 23 Nov 2011 21:01:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2011 21:56:04 GMT
Roc747 says:
Amazon haven't removed the whispernet functionality, it's still there! The only difference is this model doesn't have 3G, so in order to use whispernet you need a WiFi connection.

I don't really understand how you can give a product 1 star because you didn't care to read the item description before clicking the buy button.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 21:06:02 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Nov 2011 20:05:05 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 21:20:43 GMT
Thanks, Roc747. Well, I'm baffled. My previous Kindle was a white Series 2 with a keyboard but without 3G. Everywhere I went where a wifi signal was available it picked up signals without any logging on. This was only possible where there was a wifi signal - not through 3G which - to be clear - I didn't have. I never had to log onto wifi - for example, I picked up my FT subscription at a hotel which required a log-on to use the Internet. In a year of use I never logged onto wifi - it just happened automatically. I thought this was what whispernet was.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (9,915 customer reviews)
 (7,180)