1.0 out of 5 stars Substandard and cheap product., 17 May 2013
This review is from: Turin Chrome High Back Leather Faced Executive Office Chair (Office Product)
I originally purchased this item from another site but because the review is too long for that site, and I feel so strongly about it I am publishing it on Amazon also.

First the positives

1. It looked good, if a little cheap
2. It was comfortable

However, it is made of the flimsiest, poorest quality material, within one week the leather facing was coming off (just from being nicked by a hoover). I had to replace the gas lift within six months, and less than a year after purchase it spectacularly falls apart when I sat on it one day. On inspecting the weakness the welding on the base plate turned out to be of such poor quality.

When I bought this item it claimed to have a weight limit of 25 stone (I weigh 20), something which has conveniently been removed from the site in question (I wonder if many other people have had the same issue and just not said anything).

This said it is not a total write-off, the spider legs have found a new lease of life restoring an old managers chair I had in storage (which had broken spider base) and it appears to be holding admirably. Therefore this leads me to believe, in summary that this product has the following flaws.

1. Gas lift - poor quality, unable to withstand adjustment and prone to failure. The replacement gas lift in question purchased is the Black 9" Straight Gas Lift for an Office Chair available on Amazon.
2. Base plate on bottom of seat - quality of welding and joinery very poor, unable to withstand either weight of person sitting on chair or replacement of gas lift which I concede could have contributed to exacerbating an existing weakness. Saying that replacing failed gas lifts is a routine operation and should not have weakened the base plate significantly. Like I mentioned above I have since cannibalised the above product to repair another damaged chair and that other chair's base plate was more than able to withstand complete reconstruction.

Finally I want to dispel some questions you might have in relation to this review.

1. I used this chair in a home office while I was studying, it was only used for an average of 4-5 hours a day, well within the 8 hours recommended.
2. When I purchased the product it clearly stated that it had a 25 stone weight limit so my weight should not have been an issue.
3. I did not 'play around' with the product, I set it at the required height and used it for its primary purpose, a seat.

This review is based on experience with the product of nearly a year, therefore unlike some reviews where judgement is passed on delivery day, this review can show the quality of the product in an office environment over a prolonged period. My experience may have been a poor quality product in an otherwise immaculate name, however I will never purchase any 'Turin' products again. If I could have given 0 stars I would have.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]