5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Jack of all trades Edit 27th Nov, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Creative Sound Blaster EVO ZxR Bluetooth NFC Active Noise-cancelling Headphones with iOS Android App control for Built-in Audio Processing and mic (works with PS4) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
27th November ... I have upped my rating to 5 stars, the one issue that I had, ie not working with Mavericks OS has now been fixed. The support I have had from Creative has been excellent, and having now used these headphones for well over a month, they are hard to fault.

The problem you sometimes get with a piece of kit that seems to cover off several functions is that performance usually suffers in one or more areas when compared with something that just does one thing very well.

I think these Creative Sound Blaster EVO ZxR head phones are really rather good. The sound quality is excellent, clarity and volume control are also very good on a wide variety of music genres, and having bluetooth has freed up being chained by a wire to my music player.

I have docked a point off for this review, as the software downloaded from Creative is not yet compatible with Apples latest Mavericks Operating System, so I have not been able to test functionality out on my Mac. The App downloads for iPhone and iPad work fine, and I did try it out on a friends laptop running Windows 7 ... again no problem. The one thing that did impress me was the very rapid response from Creative when I contacted them about the problem ... no fix as yet, so I will have to keep visiting the Creative website.

On a positive note, the headphones are very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, and the memory foam and soft covering also limits noise leakage. I can sit next to my wife listening to music whilst she is reading a book without any complaints. The Bluetooth facility as mentioned earlier is a boon, particularly for exercise, and I have found that I can get a good 5 - 6 hours use before they need to be recharged. You get plenty of warning though the headset in the form of a series of beeps, up to half an hour before they finally give up the ghost. If you are prepared, you can always plug in using the supplied headphone lead. (also supplied with a USB lead to connect to your computer and also to charge ... a USB charger with UK and Euro plug adapters ... an airline adapter ... and a very well made travel pouch with a separate compartment for the leads). All in all, a quality offering that is pretty much complete.

The headphones also function as noise cancellers and these are most affective on planes and trains where they do an excellent job of blocking out the background hum. Less useful when out and about, especially on a windy day, but to be honest, no noise cancellers are good in that environment.

Bluetooth connectivity to my iPhone and iPad were very straight forward, and one set up, they automatically connect. I have also been able to connect a second bluetooth device to my phone at the same time, without any interference, or drop of connection, so I can use my bluetooth heart rate monitor as well.

All of the function buttons are on the right side, from turning the headset on and off, to ANC, and Talk Through ... Works OK, but I find it a bit muffled, and also if I was going to chat to someone for more than a few seconds, I would take the headphones off.

The volume and next track forward and back are also there too ... at first, I thought that I would never remember where all the controls are, but with shuffle turned on whilst listening to music on my iPhone, I very quickly learned how to skip back and forth.

I have not really used the ZxRs for many phone calls, it works OK, but again I find that it can be a little muffled.

Overall, I'm impressed, they are comfortable, look good, are well featured and most importantly sound good too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Nov 2013 18:28:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2013 18:29:50 GMT
Bruce says:
I can confirm that the software worked well on my laptop which is running Windows 7 - just tap the side and Bluetooth connects! It's worth having for the surround feature - I have never heard this on headphones before. So I couldn't fault the whole package.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2013 18:04:11 GMT
Nick Flynn says:
Yes Bruce, it is a fine bit of kit and since my review I have made quite a few more calls ... The people I'm talking to say that the call is as clear as a bell, but to me it still sounds muffled ... I'm wondering if that has something to do with the Surround settings.

Windows 7 worked OK for me, but Mavericks on the Mac is still a problem ... as I said in my review ... what did impress me was the response from Creative.

Happy listening, Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2013 10:41:41 GMT
Bruce says:
Yes - the software allows you to adjust all the equalisation settings for the different parts - mic and the headphones. I was surprised at how much you could actually change and I had never heard surround on headphones before.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›