1.0 out of 5 stars A BIG caveat, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Mahler: Symphonies 1-10; Totenfeier; Das Lied Von Der Erde (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I received my set of Mahler symphonies from Amazon UK with great expectations. You should know that I have a fairly new Pioneer Elite all-zone Blu-ray player that plays everything without a hitch: I get a lot of DVDs from Europe, never a problem.

Not so with the Mahler set. Most of the discs refused to play: the player indicated the usual "reading disc" and "reading completed", but did NOT show "loading". Instead, it went dead. I tried several tricks to make the discs play: ejecting and re-inserting the disc, even shutting down the player and re-starting it with the disc loaded. It worked a few times, and I managed to play some excerpts. But this is not acceptable: the Dutch engineers must have bungled the software of these discs. I contacted Amazon UK, informing them that the discs are faulty and was assured that a replacement set will be sent. I will return the original box to them. Now I wonder if the replacement set will be without problems...

Does anyone else have these or similar problems with the Mahler set?

Update 27 December 2012

I returned the defective set to the UK Returns Center and have already received a replacement set. To my disappointment, I find that these discs are also not coded correctly: after "reading completed", the player does not continue into the "loading" mode. I figured out that by pressing the "play" and "stop" buttons, and pressing "play" again, the player can (in most cases) be coaxed to load and play the respective disc. This is a tedious business, and I have never encountered the like before. It is obvious that the engineers at RCO screwed up badly with the Blu-ray technology. I'll never buy this label again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Dec 2012 22:17:48 GMT
augustus says:
With my Oppo95 (Region A) I haven't any problems.

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 13:08:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2012 13:10:46 GMT

I'm having the same problem. Symphony 3 and Das Lied played without a problem, but none of the other discs would load properly. The disc would begin to load, and then get stuck. Sometimes I even had to unplug the blu-ray player and plug it back in again before I could get the disc to eject. I returned them to Amazon and got a replacement set, but it looks like I've got the same problem......

It's a real shame, as I really enjoyed the two discs that I was able to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 02:16:19 GMT
There is a major technical fault throughout all Blu-Ray discs. "Hash" noise starts immediately one presses the Play button and continues throughout the entire disc. Panasonic technical staff have kindly worked through sound adjustments etc and concluded that the pressings are faulty.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013 01:41:10 GMT
Gentlemen:

This may seem simplistic, but it would be well worthwhile getting a Firmware Update on your Player - ask your Dealer about it!

Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013 20:00:11 GMT
Thank you for the good advice, John. However, my player is barely 2 years old and works perfectly well with any and all other discs. In addition, if you do have an all-zone DVD/Blu-ray player and install any factory firmware update, your player will automatically lose its all-zone settings and end up being a one-zone player: the all-zone software is an after-market installation.

I still think the Dutch engineers goofed with the coding of these discs. But if you have no problems playing them or at least can coax them to play as I do, you will find some remarkable interpretations in this set, including nrs. 4, 5, 6, and 10.

Greetings,

Gerhard

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2013 02:35:20 GMT
cateran says:
I found this with certain DVDs - usually Columbia Studio releases such as Joan of Arc and The Patriot. I think my multi-region player was detected and they would not play. I never noted a problem with solely Region 2 UK players.

There are now cheap individual Region players and some people have 2 or more to play Region A or B Blu-Rays on dedicated machines.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›