1,627 of 1,647 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but expensive., 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Keyboard Lighted Leather Cover, Black (only fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
When I first decided to buy the fantastic Kindle3 I thought it was only right to get the cover designed for it.

My first thought on which cover to get was that both the standard and the lighted one were brilliant but about a third too expensive. Looking at the prices I decided that I should economise so I bought the standard cover without the light thinking that I already have a simple clip on light that would do the job fine.

Both the covers (excepting the light) are the same so the following review applies to both models.

The cover arrived (before the Kindle) and it is very very good. It fits the Kindle perfectly and in so doing gives protection. I really like the way that it is styled, the leather is gorgeous, the colours lovely (I bought the burnt orange) and it is so easy to use. It attaches to the Kindle in a matter of seconds, and in use is simplicity. I really like the elastic closure band, no fuss, just does the job. I also really like the way I can fold the cover back, fix it with the band and then either hold the Kindle with one hand or rest it on a cushion or in a book stand for 'hands free' use. The inside of the cover has a lovely 'felty' feel to it, so not only does it completely protect the screen and buttons of the Kindle, but it is also non slip so rests very easily on an angled surface.

Attaching my clip on light was ok, but after only a few days the battery was going down (because I was using the Kindle so much!) so I decided to think again about the lighted cover!

Having initially disregarded the lighted cover due to its cost I began to see the advantages over having a separate light. The light is always there! After kicking myself a bit over having wasted money on buying the standard cover I ordered the burgundy red lighted cover. It is brilliant! It is so clever just having the light there all the time, safely tucked away when not needed, but instantly available in low light. I thought the light would be uneven and therefore annoying but it is a very gentle natural light and becomes unnoticeable once absorbed in the reading - which is very very easy to do.

I don't understand why anyone having bought the best e-reader on the market will want to buy a cover which slips off or is just a stick-on cover. Don't hesitate about buying the best cover designed for the Kindle which does the job so brilliantly. Yes it is expensive but it will last, is a quality product and makes my Kindle look an even more amazing piece of kit than it already is in its own right.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2010 12:23:51 GMT
MYK says:
Hi, just wondering what the difference is in thickness between the lighted cover and the normal cover... Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2010 13:22:45 GMT
Thanks for your enquiry.

The difference in thickness between the normal and lighted cover is approx 3mm - the normal cover is 1.7cm and the lighted 2cm thick. I have compared both of them with the Kindle in situ - the difference really is negligible. I still have both my covers but I use the lighted one on a daily basis as having the light is so convenient.

The colours of the covers I actually have are the burnt orange and burgundy - both lovely.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2010 13:25:38 GMT
MYK says:
Thats great. I was a bit dubious about buying the one with the light incase the light either got in the way or made the cover too thick.

If it doesnt really add any thickness then I'll go for the one with the light for when I need it!

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2010 10:06:19 GMT
J. Watkin says:
The concept is great, but as I never try to read in the dark in any event paying this sort of money for a cover with an LED attached light is mind blowing!

Your review is great but Amazon should be lobbied by its customers to reduce the price by half. How much each cover unit with a light at 49.99 is costing to manufacture would be of great interest, I bet?
I can't justify spending this much money on a cover with a light.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2011 11:55:56 GMT
The description of this product says "Burgundy" (which to my mind is a wine and thus a dark red) but the picture makes it look bright red. As you have one, Mrs LC, can you tell me what colour it really is? I know these things are not an exact science but I'd like to know for sure what I'm buying before parting with what is a load of money to protect something which nigh-on half the product it's designed to protect. It might be cheaper just to buy two Kindles!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2011 12:39:59 GMT
Hi,

Thank you for your comment. It defininitely is not bright red. I have compared the 'real' thing against the picture on my screen and in my case they are almost identical. I can't think of anything in everyday use which is the same red - definitely not a post box. I think the description of burgundy or perhaps claret is fairly good - its a 'rich' red. I like it, but then I would have liked most of the colours. As to your comment about the cost - yes it is expensive, I would say a third too much, but it is very good. I always have my Kindle protected and when I need a light it is there ready and waiting, even if just for a couple of seconds, no fuss, just there. I personally wouldn't hesitate in buying the 'proper' cover, its designed by Kindle for Kindle, is nice and comfy to hold and does the job it is designed for perfectly. It turns the Kindle into a complete package.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2011 17:55:42 GMT
Thanks. Very helpful. I think that if I take the plunge then I will stick to black.

Posted on 13 Feb 2011 15:47:06 GMT
M. Newton says:
i have just been reading about the kindle cover, my husband bought me the kindle for going on holiday it was to be a christmas present but he left it too late. We went on holiday on 5 February and I packed my kindle with my computer and when we got to our destination i discovered that there has been pressure on the top of the kindle and it was broken, When my husband went in to Curry's who sold him it 22 days before they were not happy about the problem and just told him they did not think they could replace it and would contact kindle as it was pressure, my husband asked if that was the case and they were so delicate why did they not sell him a cover,Curry's answer was they did not have any in stock so never warned him, so be warned if anyone wants to take kindle on holiday, still awaiting the outcome from Currys the cover may be expensive but is necessary!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2011 23:17:18 GMT
Hi,
Thank you for your comment re the Kindle case. I agree whole heartedly with you - if you are going to spend money on buying a Kindle, please don't scrimp on saving money by foregoing purchasing a cover - in my opinion this is an essential item to protect your brilliant Kindle.

Posted on 18 Feb 2011 07:42:08 GMT
one thing i would like to add to all the people thinking of getting the more expensive cover is although it is expensive not only does it keep your kindle safe and contain a light but it is also leather which would make it more expensive. as soon as i order my kindle i am definately going to be getting the leather case as it should last as long as my kindle where as the cheaper ones will probably have to be replaced.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›