5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and tactile budget gaming mouse, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black (Electronics)
There will probably be some skepticism in this mouse for a lot of people; myself included initially. It seems to be less than half the price of the 'reputable' gaming mice brands (Logitech, Razer etc.). I bought it on the risk that it's a lot cheaper, but that I might be settling for something that wasn't much better than I was using before (a generic laser mouse). The reviews seemed solid on here and around the net, so I took the gamble. So far, I'm glad I did.

Performance-wise: The mouse is a perfect size and fit for me (I have long fingers, so this mouse might not perform as well for smaller-handed gamers). The maximum weight seemed right for me, and I haven't yet bothered tweaking the weights or anything (it's a comfortable weight, making it feel solid and heavy enough that the slightest shudder won't make you miss a shot in your favourite first-person shooter, but also light enough that you can move it without it becoming cumbersome). All the buttons are fairly easily in reach and feel well made, and there's a tactile satisfaction to the feel of them during use. This mouse favours a claw-grip/palm grip style of use (I use a claw-grip, and it feels pretty natural).

Modularity: The DPI button allows quick switching of a set of configurable preset DPI values from 600 to 3,600. As well as allowing setups to switch between general use and specialist sniping needs efficiently, the button glows a chosen colour on different DPI values making it easy to determine the setting (plus it looks nice). Each button except the left mouse button can be freely configured. They can be set up to represent any keyboard key, multimedia hotkey function, clipboard shortcut (i.e. copy/paste etc.), and most interestingly of all, a macro editor that allows you to script a complex sequence of actions to a single button press. I've tried it only on basic things, like setting a button up to perform a ctrl+alt+p hold and release function to act as a play/pause button for Winamp's global hotkeys. This seems to be only scratching the surface though, and it seems almost unnecessarily in-depth. There is also a '16-in-one mouse gestures' option, which allows the combination of a button hold and mouse movement direction to act as 1 of 16 different useful functions, from zooming in to scrolling etc. This idea interested me, but in practice I was a bit disappointed by the tediousness of putting these gestures into action and have given up on this function.

Aesthetics: I like the futuristic look of this mouse, from the glowing DPI button to the grating-style grip. Most importantly I like the minimalism in this version of the mouse. There is a version with flame graphics that, to me looks very tacky, like a kid's car toy or something; but for anyone interested it can be found here: Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse.

Cons: For all the praises of the software there is some glitchiness to it sometimes, as loading the configurations to the mouses in-built memory can seem to not register sometimes, or the software will crash when attempting read/write operations. The 500hz polling rate is good, but comparatively less than say the Razer Deathadder's 1000hz. This just means how often the mouse reports values to the computer, and whilst I honestly don't notice any difference, maybe gaming veterans would argue that 1000hz polling gets them that bit more accuracy. As with most products I've read a few cases of failed units, though as this is a problem with most products it's hardly a con; though something to consider anyway.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Dec 2011 13:12:55 GMT
Blitzwing85 says:
Thanks for the informative review. I had a 50 mouse on my list to buy but i've took the plunge on this one instead! Hoping it serves me well in Starcraft II instead of my cheap generic mouse. Sounds like it will!!

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 15:17:19 BDT
NA says:
So is the mouse still working well for you, 13 months on? I don't wanna buy a gaming mouse to find out that it'll stop working after a couple of months use (like some of the bad reviews you can read here).

Hope you can answer my question.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 19:25:38 BDT
Utopia1138 says:
Yeah, it still works as well as it did a year ago. I find a lot of hardware components either work for the stated time or fail quickly after purchase though, so perhaps I was just one of the lucky ones?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 19:26:51 BDT
Pleiades says:
I bought one of these and have only just noticed that you can select a checkbox in the MRR (Mouse Report Rate) software for 1000hz - it then appears to function at that rate (1ms response). Yet, like you, I thought this mouse was limited to 500hz! I have now set it to 1000hz and will test to see if there is any perceivable difference...

Posted on 24 Oct 2012 18:08:53 BDT
Really stupid question! Is this mouse like USB or do i plug it in to the computer?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2012 18:46:45 BDT
Utopia1138 says:
The mouse uses a USB connection (not the older PS/2 connector some desktops still support) but is not wireless if that's what you meant?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2013 20:09:03 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Apr 2013 20:09:54 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2013 20:09:39 BDT
James says:
Gold Plated USB
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (189 customer reviews)

24.99 21.25