5.0 out of 5 stars My HS30EXR,a great all-in-one!, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Digital Camera (16MP EXR-CMOS Sensor, 30x Manual Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tiltable LCD Screen (Electronics)
My new Fuji HS30EXR is a great improvement on it's predecessors,the HS10,the HS20EXR,and I have owned them both!
It's faster to use,a better EVF,(although it could still be better!)an improved EXR sensor,and faster focussing.
Even the rear lcd,which was one of the best I've used,has been subtly improved,and you can digitally extend the lens to a massive 60X if needed,and the results are surprisingly good,great for nature shots,but a tripod is recommended!
Prints are sharp and colourful,and even the video's better!
You can save your favourite settings now,and there's plenty of functions to experiment with,and I particularly liked the "Pro-focus" advanced setting,which takes two pictures at the same time,one the main subject,and one out of focus image of the background.This results in particularly good results in flower and portrait images.
And the new rechargeable battery lasts almost twice as long as the previous 4 AAs fitted to the HS/10/20,and is also lighter,and will last you for about 600+ images,plenty for a the keenest photographer,and better than some DSLRs,and most of the competition in the "Bridge Camera" world.
We know that at really big blowups,(above A4 or A3),a DSLR sensor is better,but at lower magnifications,these Fuji cameras can produce the goods,and the HS30 is better now at higher ISOs.
I recently sold my Pentax DSLR,because,although it produced some great results,the Fuji cameras are just so much more convenient,and I just never used it!
My HS30 can tackle about anything I come across,and I so I don't need a heavy camera bag,and a heavy DSLR,and expensive extra lenses,to lug about.
Obviously on country walks,and holidays this camera is a boon,so well done Fuji!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2012 18:07:42 BDT
G. Beckett says:
Hi DigiDoug, am looking to change my existing camera, a Fujifilm S9600 which I find very useful in the same way you describe your HS30 my main concern with the 9600 is the slow speed at which the camera writes to the card especially in low light situations how does the HS30 do? I often use the 9600 in Aperture mode rather than automatic but it is very sensitive to 'difficult' lighting conditions how do you tend to use your HS30? Also can the HS30 zoom manually? Thanks for your help, geoff

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 19:40:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2012 19:49:17 BDT
Doug Sinnott says:
Funny enough I had a S9600,which was,and still is a great camera,but the rear screen was small,at 2",and writing to the card(as you said),and reviewing the images was slow,although it had a great viewfinder.
Unfortunately,I slipped while out walking,and I dropped it in a stream,which wrote off the camera.
The Insurance Company paid for a replacement,which was a Fuji HS10,initially,and I found it a worthy replacement.
But,compared to the HS30,it was slower to use,as I have mentioned,but the 30X zoom and big rear screen was a big step up from the S9600.
Like the S9600,the HS30 can be zoomed manually,but focussing and write speed to the card is much better than the S9600.

As regards the favourite mode I use,I tend to use "EXR Auto",and let the camera sort out which of the 26 programmed modes are applicable to what I'm taking.
There's plenty of user-selectable modes,and you can customise the camera to suit yourself in the "P" and A,S,and Manual modes.
If you go on the Fuji UK website,you can download a HS30 brochure free.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 14:39:52 BDT
G. Beckett says:
Thanks DJ for your comments. Following your suggestion downloaded the brochure and instructions and there is a tremendous difference between the S9600 and the HS30. All I have to do now is persuade my wife that I should replace my camera with a new one - unless I can find a convenient stream. Regrds, geoff

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 09:18:56 BDT
RichieO says:
Hi, I am still using my old Fujifilm S602Z but it is so battery hungry (4 x AA) and all info and settings are lost when you disconnect the batteries so I would really appreciate it if you could let me know how the HS30 does in this respect. Also can you recharge the battery without removing it?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 09:35:18 BDT
Chris Jones says:
I've had a series of Fujis including 4900, F10, S602Z, S9600, HS10 & HS20, and we've been very happy together. However, I don't think I'll bother with this one.

The thing that immediately put me off is that it doesn't take AA batteries. Bad move, IMO, as these can be easily obtained and stocked up with - I use Sanyo Eneloops which have an amazing life and an ability to hold a charge when unused (I always take several sets with me - come on, they don't weigh that much). I can easily take 600 shots in a day and if my grandson's with me and I start using the movie function then it eats up battery power, so I'd need to carry several Fuji powerpacks with me to ensure I don't run out. Moreover, I often take a back-up camera or two when I'm away on holiday, and these take AA batteries. The last thing I'd want is to have to carry multiple power sources and rechargers.

My main complaint with the HS20 was a slow start-up time (up to 10 seconds) before the camera was ready for use. However Fuji have a firmware upgrade on their site for the HS20 which I found easy to install and it reduced my start-up time to around 3 seconds. If I switch it on as I take it out of my camera bag, it's just about ready to point and shoot by the time I've put my eye to the viewfinder. Another problem I have is that it sometimes takes ages to focus, and I don't know if this has been addressed with the HS30. I suspect that any other differences between the HS20 and HS30 regarding image quality will be marginal.

So, on balance, I think I'll skip this one.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2012 16:36:48 BDT
Nick Staib says:
Interesting point that Chris (above) makes regarding batteries. I'm guessing that if like him you are already set up to charge AA batteries for other cameras or gadgets, then it's probably easier to continue in that line, but for me (without that consideration) the 100g weight saving, the extra staying power, and the convenience of a 'single' battery do outweigh the utility of traditional AA batteries...

I'm not going to skip on this one ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 06:58:12 BDT
Dr. Tom Bell says:
For me the sadness is that more manufacturers do not follow Pentaxs lead with some of their DSLR which take BOTH a proprietary battery and AA rechargeables ... brilliant !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›