5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any textile lover!, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Hand Stitch, Perspectives (Hardcover)
Great content, brilliant insight and reference for any textiles student, artist or enthusiast! I found the chapters on Indian hand stitch most interesting and beneficial.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jan 2013 11:46:31 GMT
Peasant says:
Please, please Pamela Kelly, tell us more about this book. There is no 'look inside' and though it looks intriguing your brief note does not give us the information we need to decide whether to lash out our dosh. Give us detail; what is it about, how good are the illustrations, what does it tell us. Pretty please!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2013 09:54:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2013 11:28:16 BDT
lynsey adams says:
It wouldn't be appropriate for me to review this book, as I will not be buying it, (certainly without a 'Look Inside' facility), but I will make a comment. If you look at the (very brief) biographies of the authors below the description of the book and also perhaps do a search on the type of work they do, it should be apparent that this is never in a million years going to be a 'how to' book. Sadly, sometimes an image on a front cover and the minimum of description can be misleading.

The authors are both very well known and respected in the Fine Art world of textiles - so whether or not you will like the book depends on what you expect from it. (I suppose this is stating the obvious!)

As a previous reviewer says, it will probably be fantastic for anybody studying textiles in very much a 'Fine Art' context, and invaluable to somebody looking for references for a dissertation - interesting but wordy and more for 'thinkers' than 'do-ers'.

Personally my needs from a book sit somewhere between the two. I am a 'do-er' but have no interest in step by step instructions for twee 'textile pictures' - I want to see inspiring contemporary work which has meaning, but also like to have some idea of how it was achieved - not to copy, but to give me ideas of how to develop my own work. It's very frustrating - in fact annoying - to see a piece of beautiful work, only to have to puzzle and puzzle over how it was made.

But not everybody feels like this. Some are more interested in history, theory, conceptual work, installations etc, and may prefer to look and think, and gain knowledge that way rather than by doing. The price of the book is also a clue - usually the more expensive tomes by reknown authors are going to be more academic than practical.

I am not denigrating the authors or the book in any way - they are famous, I'm a nobody! But this is not the kind of book I want to buy, and it would probably be something of a disappointment to the vast majority of us 'do-ers' or makers. Having said that, there is a vast variety of textile books out there, ranging from the very basic which talk to us as though we are idiots, up to the academic and conceptual which make some of us feel like idiots. It's horses for courses.

For anybody looking for textile books which make you think but also have plenty of stunning illustrations, techniques and 'doing', I would personally recommend two of Sandra Meech's earlier books: 'Creative Quilts, Inspiration, Texture and Stitch', and 'Contemporary Quilts, Design, Surface and Sitch'. Don't be put off by the 'Quilt' part - I am not a quilter and there is much more to these books than that. Also Maggie Grey's books are usually visually inspiring and full of ideas, though not everything hits the mark for me personally. Sometimes they seem a little too gimmicky. Both authors are well known and respected in the world of textiles and we mere mortals may be able to relate to their work in a way which suits us better - or not!

I should repeat that this is just a personal opinion based on knowledge of the authors' backgrounds and the type of work they are involved with. I would not presume to review a book I haven't even read. Some may think that I should not even comment, but I think I have remained pretty neutral.

A book for 'thinkers' rather than 'doers' is probably quite an apt description, but the overall quality of the book may make it worth more than one star. I hope this helps somebody.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 20:45:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2013 20:46:01 BDT
Peasant says:
In a way, that is a pretty good helpful review. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›