3 of 4 people found the following review helpful
Great, but has a few minor downsides,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
First of all, I'd just like to say that all round, this card is fantastic! There is no other way to put it. The File sizes are tiny compared to that of the competition, they are in glorious 1080p at 30FPS, and the software is just fantastic, as is the streaming abilities and the ease of switching between multiple platforms. Also, THE BUTTON!!!
However, the downsides to this card are as follows:
- Needs to be plugged into a PC via PCIe to work, laptop = No worky worky!
- Software can crash at times, rare however
- No timeshift feature unlike the competition
- Cannot record PS3 unlike competition
Despite that, I'd highly recommend this card over the competition despite a couple of features the Avermedia live Gamer HD misses out on.
If the above doesn't bother you, GET THIS RIGHT NOW!!!
EDIT: So, the first part of this review was done about 2 weeks after I purchased the capture card. I'm now editing it 7 months later to fill in on other details and things i've discovered after long term use;
So Firstly, this card is good, but I have certainly had second thoughts about it. There are some additional downsides to this card which you might not discover until later on (Like me):
- The Sound card/ Sound Passthrough is just awful. Terrible quality and way too quiet. There may be ways around it as others don't seem to have this problem. I'm not sure what exactly though, maybe a GPU problem since I use AMD? I've tried replacing the cable but that hasn't helped. I'll update if i find a working solution.
- The Bitrate isn't as excellent as it makes out. It says 1080p and whilst that is true, it just scrapes that mark
- The software can be annoying at times (crashing on a fairly common basis, not working with twitch half the time)
However, one thing to note is that I bought this capture card when they were still using RECentral 1.0. I downloaded the update recently and it does certainly improve the downsides I listed to a degree but doesn't fully solve every problem i've had with it.
IMPORTANT: If you're planning to record just for Xbox, do not let this throw you off the purchase. This card works absolutely perfectly for consoles! All the problems I have been having are exclusive to PC.
In conclusion, after 7 months, I still think it's a good card but like every card, it could do with some improvements and may not work as well with specific computers.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 May 2013 12:55:51 BDT
what do you mean about "No timeshift feature unlike the competition" and "despite a couple of features the Avermedia live Gamer HD misses out on"?
Posted on 13 Aug 2014 00:56:37 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Aug 2014 06:10:06 BDT]
Posted on 28 Dec 2014 00:23:52 GMT
No competition can record PS3. You need to strip the HDCP protection out of it, which they don't do.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›