ARRAY(0xa2756450)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pants, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) (Kindle Edition)
The first book was quite enjoyable in a teenagey way. The next three were ok (ish) but this one was frankly just pants! It was boring and far too slow-paced. I don't need action all the time, but this book was not well enough written to be able to get away with so little happening. The first bit by Bella was ok, although all that nonsense about her amazing car, perfect wedding etc. didn't do it for me (where do the Cullen's get all their money from by the way? Only Carlise works and they have to keep moving around and changing their ID etc and yet they're unbelievably rich!)

Sorry for the realism, but this whole idea of Jacob imprinting on a baby/young girl is just frankly uncomfortable and disturbing. The author made a big deal of it not being sexual but let's face it, he's about 17 and she's just a child and he's fully intending to marry her etc When she gets older? And she gets no choice in this? Just sounds like grooming to me. Quite apart from the fact that I don't see how a werewolf would imprint on a half-vampire; its arch enemy. I thought they didn't even like the smell of each other.

And while we're on the topic of disturbing, I actually find the whole Edward/Bella thing a bit weird as well. She's not a child, but what on earth does an old vampire want with a teenage girl? What exactly have they got in common? Maybe I'm going too far, but I can't help thinking that at the age of 37, I wouldn't be interested in some teenager, so why on earth would he be when he's over a hundred? If he wasn't a vampire, people would say "yuck" and assume she was after his money and he was kidding himself. Is it really ok just because he's undead?

I didn't like the Jacob chapter at all. He was annoying and immature. I didn't like the whole Bella becoming the perfect vampire either. It was always obvious that she was far better looking than she allowed herself to believe but at least she was unathletic and clumsy. As a vampire, she was perfect in every way - yuck! (Apart from being undead of course!). How come she didn't have the whole newborn blood lust and lack of self-control? That was never explained. She was also the perfect mother with the perfect husband and the perfect child - double yuck! I actually think the book would have been far better if Bella had struggled with being newborn; if she discovered that she felt differently about Edward as a vampire or if she changed her value system or became a risk. It would have also been interesting for the child to be dangerous rather than omniscient. Perhaps Edward coud have discovered that it was her humanity that he liked all along and he could have not felt the same way with her as a vampire.In fact, anything would have been better than what did happen (which was not a lot).

Oh yes and the whole charade about Alice having abandoned them. Is anyone actually supposed to believe that and then be surprised when she turns up at the end to help perfect undead Bella to save the day? And Edward and Jacob are suddenly best friends? Purlease! Personally I like a good bittersweet ending. I like to feel slightly sad but satisfied that it was the right ending even if it was tinged with sadness. What I really don't like are Hollywood endings or fairy tale endings, i.e. the good guys win and they all live happily ever after, and that is essentially how this series ended. I know it's a teenage book, but come on, let's have some maturity and subtlety.

I could go on but I won't. I want to end on a positive note, but frankly I can't. It was just pants and I am glad I have finished it. For a series that started off with some promise, it's a big let-down. I hope to read something far better now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]