5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Band On The Run (Audio CD)
A classic album given a well deserved re-issue. I remember playing this non stop when it came out, I had enjoyed the wings stuff and while McCartney's first few albums after the Beatles all contained some fantastic tracks - this was the one where it all came together with a strong set of tracks that have survived the test of time. It's nice quality although I agree with a previous reviewer that it's hard to really appreciate the re-mastering if you listen with an 'average' ear like myself. While I am agreeing with the same previous reviewer he is also right about the strange lack of Denny Laine - I'd love to know how he feels about this re-issue and the memories.
An interesting booklet and Gambaccini piece, I think I can actually remember the 1973 interview it came from which is a little worrying, but those were the days where anticipation was half the pleasure..
A good second cd with the extras, I rather enjoyed the one hand clapping stuff some nice versions in there and worthy of repeated listening.
While the dvd is mildly interesting I kind of doubt it is one I will watch very often much of it is not great quality and I am not sure it adds much to the whole package - I would rather have had a copy of the Channel 4 documentary shown the day before this was issued.
As I lurched through my teens in the 70's I think I was kept sane by Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Mike Oldfield and McCartney. Here Band on the Run gets the treatment it deserves and has brought back some very happy memories, Goodness knows how my Dad put up with me playing this non stop!!!
If this is not in your collection, now is the time to add it. Recommended, this is one of the world's greatest at the top of his game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2010 19:08:59 GMT
Well, I have the bigger version of this reissue (the booksize one) and in that book there are numerous instances where Denny Laine shares some of his thoughts on the album etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2010 19:12:50 GMT
bobby morrow says:
Denny certainly played a bigger part on the albums after BOTR. I quite fancy the booksize version myself but it's so expensive!

Posted on 10 Nov 2010 14:37:46 GMT
J. Macdonald says:
If only "Letting Go" from their next album (Venus & Mars) had been included in this one it would've been one of the most perfect albums ever!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2010 14:44:46 GMT
Nick Brett says:
J Macdonald,
Agree 100% - V&M was my second favourite Wings album after BOTR.....
Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2010 14:48:59 GMT
moog_man says:
That's good to know, thanks for sharing, C. G. M.

Can you elaborate on whether Denny Laine's insights are new, or possibly lifted from interviews at the time of original release.
I'm debating whether to $plurge on the Super Deluxe package. Gotta love a hardback book

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2010 21:58:39 GMT
I do get the sense that these are lifted from earlier sources but nothing is credited as such. Heck, even Macca's remarks might be 'older'. IMHO, the whole package is well worth the money.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 16:45:43 GMT
daveberry66 says:
I agree - "Letting Go" is my favourite Wings song ever! The live version is particularly great - in fact, you can find it on the "Rockshow" DVD which is an "extra" on some CD reissues of "Wings At The Speed of Sound".... Basically, "Rockshow" is most of the "Wings Over America" (cracking!) live set in DVD form...

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 09:38:52 BDT
R. Pievaitis says:
Hi all, the choice of music listed here I totally agree with but could I also add in 10CC and perhaps slade,roxy music and T.rex ? As I grew older ,I was only 10 in 72 I grew fond of the sounds of Yes, Genesis and the like as the more pop sounds grew boring and I found new musical vistas if that does,t sound too much like pseuds corner ?!?!
But how I cherished this , my 1st ever vinyl purchase with my own pocket money in asda morley oh those halcyon days of long hot summertimes of musical adventures it was all so new then !!
But worry not my friends there are still decent bands out there -its just the media ie BBC ITV etc don't show them at all. Like the fabby porcupine tree and leader steven wilsons own solo output. If you have not come across this music then perhaps I could suggest fear of a blank planet for PT and grace for drowning for wilson ? As for BOTR I also own the DTS version having lost my original vinyl many many years ago. Is it worth the money against the DTS ?
Oh the nostalgia !!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (157 customer reviews)

Reviewer

Nick Brett
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: Wiltshire, England