3.0 out of 5 stars Half Insight, Half Preachy, 13 April 2012
This review is from: C++ Coding Standards : Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices (Paperback)
I wanted to love this book, I wanted it to be a fantastic insight and to spur me to improve my own coding standards and drive document production to improve team productivity my end... I got it... I read it... And... Though some, few, items did come straight out of the text and input into my work many more of the items seemed very preachy, "thou shalt do it this way", when really there could be good arguments to the contrary.

The biggest problem with these preaching items was the general lack of code examples with them, and the generic descriptions given of a potential situation deemed requiring whatever the "standard" they are specifying, without any example code these items really came across as quite obtuse and without as much merit as those with code examples.

This is not to detract from those good items inside, and there are some, they usually have clear code examples are explained concisely without seeming to preach the author(s) ideals upon you. Many of these I identified with easily and will note them down for inclusion in my own work - this does make the book worth reading.

However, with a choice between this text or perhaps one from Scott Meyers, I would take Mr Meyer's books over this, even his older books eclipse this text with their given examples and concise presentation.

Another surprise with this book was its lightness, it is actually very thin, I had expected a rather more weighty tome. I don't know why I had this impression, perhaps because other AW products are weighty, but when this appeared and was a quite thin, smaller than A4 profile, floppy back (its not even soft back, its a floppy book) I was surprised.

I would have liked to perhaps give the book 3.5 stars, its more than just "ok" as it has input into my working practices, but its not worth the full "good" 4 stars rating due to the quality and the incessant nagging of some of the items.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]