3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a gamble, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card only (Personal Computers)
Amazon didn't have any in stock so I bought from a reseller. Card arrived in just the plastic case inside a padded envelope with no trace of the red manufacturers packaging displayed in the product page on Amazon. Suspicious, I tried it anyway.

Card is simple to install, just slots in. My device (a Samsung Galaxy wifi meda player) recognised it automatically and offered to format it, which took a minute or so. After that I connected my device up to my PC (running Windows XP) and it appeared as a drive letter. I could make folders and copy and paste my music collection onto the card. When finished I disconnect my media player, it thinks for a minute then I can see my music listed ready to play. Simple. Sadly it worked OK for about a day then lost its content. Repeated tests over the next week (reformatting the SD card via the menu in my media player, recopying my music), revealed that the card was unreliable and not fit for purpose.

Contacted marketplace supplier who asked me some questions then sent me out a free replacement, told me not to send the original back. I was chuffed with the customer service at the time. He explained lack of packaging was due to a bulk order he had made. Hmm. He suggested my device was not compatible with 32Gb card, but in fact it is, as per the Samsung website.

The replacement 32Gb Sandisk card came already formatted and I think it was second hand. After a few hours it too lost its content. I insalled Astro on my device to check the card. Filesnames in the music folder had turned to question marks according to Astro filemanager. Again, no packaging was supplied with this card other than plastic case but the card itself looked the same as the real thing pictured on Amazon.

By this time Amazon had the card in stock for a similar price, so I ordered one sold by them. It arrived with the correct packaging as displayed in the advert. Card worked first time and has worked flawlessly for weeks now. Excellent performance.

Verdict: If you receive a working card then 5 stars, no question. If you buy the card and it turns up without packaging and loses your stuff every couple of days or so then zero stars. I have given this product three stars to be fair.I think that either the first two cards I received were genuine and there is a reliability problem, or if they were not the real thing (is lack of packaging a clue?) then it would be unfair to give a one star review despite that being accurate for the useless first two cards I received and all the time , effort and money it took to persevere in the hope they would work. I have no way of checking authenticity - a visual inspection of the cards themselves shows they look the same to my untrained eye.

I would not recommend the first two unpackaged cards to anyone and I have doubts about their authenticity, but the genuine article supplied directly by Amazon in manufacturers packaging I recommend without hesitation as a great, affordable memory card.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Dec 2011 15:26:20 GMT
Jan Howard says:
Thank you Paul. This is a very informative, fair and careful review. You'd already spent a lot of time with the unfit discs. I think it is very generous of you to take even more time to share your experience.

Jan

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2012 02:12:37 BDT
I experienced a very similar problem again it was missing the official packaging.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 18:02:22 BDT
Nev says:
I just received my 16 gig in a cardboard envelope without any packaging either so I have now written to Amazon and intend to write to Sandisk as to how anyone selling what is supposed to be a genuine card without it being packaged as it should have been

Posted on 14 Sep 2012 01:25:58 BDT
This card its a laughable fake. It's recognized by the phone, some 7,4Gb. I didn't even bothered to start using it. Yes it came into the tiny plastic bag together with a SD SanDisk adaptor fake as well! I cannot believe the level of poor quality in the details. Even the edges at the corners of the thin black plastic are chipped. Unbeliavable!! I will load some pictures next to share the fun. DON'T buy it. Bought it from "Discount Price" seller. The misleading bit is that he sells the card confusing customers with the "by SanDisk" under the card name. AVOID!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2012 11:16:09 BDT
Without thinking about it I ordered this card from the seller at the top of the list yesterday. Stupid because it was only a few pence cheaper than Amazon. I then started reading the reviews. Hopefully it will be fine when it arrives but owing to the huge number of fakes people are talking about, especially with the cheapest prices, I'm not too hopeful! Did those people who received fakes from other sellers manage to get their money back?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2012 11:22:15 BDT
Nev says:
I asked Sandisk and they checked the serial number.

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 01:53:32 GMT
Traveler says:
Check the original card with H2testw for true capacity. Sounds more like a hacked fake than a reliability problem. Genuine Sandisk cards are reliable. The seller is talking rubbish about bulk purchase as an excuse for not having proper packaging.

Name and shame this fake seller so as to warn others who not to buy from..

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 08:46:10 GMT
Nev says:
Yes I found that checking with Sandisk and giving them the serial number. They then informed me that it was a genuine Sandisk card. However the same cannot be said for the adapter it came with. That didn't work from day one, so buyers beware.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 16:02:25 GMT
Traveler says:
I know Kingston have an online verification system for their memory products. This, as far as I can remember, asks for the buyer details so duplication of serial numbers is not so useful. I do not know if it is the same with Sandisk. The easiest way of passing off anything as genuine is to use genuine serial numbers on fakes along with authentic packaging. Ebay was flooded with these and I spent too much time trying to contact sellers, buyers, ebay and Kingston and making them aware. Some sellers were genuinely unaware, but the majority did not care and were just out for the profit. The chinese sellers were the worst. With shipping times of up to 3 weeks and low, low price per unit, multiple sales before anyone caught on they had a fake made for quick and easy large scale profit. Once caught they switch ID. Many were using multiple IDs to start with. It was pretty organised stuff.
In such scenarios people think it is better to play safe and buy british. Stick a Union flag up on your listing, import large quantities from Alibaba and sit back and reap the rewards. Sell 100, get twenty back and offer instant refund, no one the wiser. How long does it take the average Joe to click on they have been duped? Many have no idea for months. Showed true capacity in properties, so must be genuine, right? Wrong. That was how I got caught with my first chinese memory purchase. Positive feedback had been posted day I received that usb stick, praising the seller and lulling others into a false sense of security. That was what got me furious and on to a campaign to destroy that seller. Amazon marketplace is crawling with the same kind of lowlife now too. Look at any memory product and read the 1 star ratings. All too familiar a pattern, unfortunately. Even reputable sellers have been caught out too.

Fancy a horseburger anyone???
‹ Previous 1 Next ›