4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
One of her best albums,
This review is from: Emotions (Audio CD)
I gave her self titled debut 4 stars, because it had some brilliant songs but there were a couple of tracks I thought were a bit cheesy and didn't really like. I was expecting to have a similar opinion of her second album 'Emotions'. I was pleasantly suprised because I liked every track.
1. Emotions - Title track and lead single. Very catchy and uplifting track, vocals impressive as always. 9/10
2. And You Don't Remember - Slow ballad, reminds me of 'I Don't Wanna Cry' from the first album. Not as good as that, but still a great track. 8/10
3. Can't Let Go - Love this one, very well written and produced ballad. That whistle note sent shivers through my spine! 10/10
4. Make It Happen - A bit more uptempo and an uplifting message. I really like it, although it does go on a bit! 9/10
5. If It's Over - Absolutely brilliant. Probably the best song on the album. 10/10
6. You're So Cold - I actually like the intro more than the song itself, but still a good song. Can't help but feel its about Tommy Mottola, although they hadn't even got married yet! 8/10
7. So Blessed - Not really a stand out track, but a nice ballad. 7/10
8. To Be Around You - I didn't think much of this at first, but after a few listens I really like it. Could've been a single. 9/10
9. Til The End Of Time - This track is a darker and somewhat haunting song, but I love it! 9/10
10. The Wind - Wasn't expecting this, not the usual style for Mariah, but what a way to end the album. Its very soothing and relaxing. 10/10
Overall I was very impressed with this album. Its hard to decide on a favourite Mariah Carey album, because they all have different sounds, but this is up there with 'Music Box' and 'Daydream', which I havn't reviewed yet, but will get round to sooner or later. I guess you could argue that it sounds quite similar to the first album, but I think they did a better job this time round. Adding to the mix the songs 'If It's Over' and 'The Wind', make it a bit more varied because they sound very different to anything off the first album. The album has aged quite well, as I often forget i'm listening to something from 1991. Its just timeless and I feel this album is overlooked too often and deserves more recognition.