ARRAY(0xa5f1d3a8)

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to be afraid?, 7 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
There are already some very well written and informative reviews for Dead Space 3 but I thought I'd my add my thoughts anyway. I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are probably my two favourite 1-player games on the PS3 and I've played them both over and over again. I'm not sure which of the two I prefer. DS1 is clearly more survival horror, but you do retrace your steps a lot in the claustrophobic setting. DS2 is bigger and I like the addition of Isaac's voice to the story. It's more action-orientated without losing the nature of Dead Space. DS3 extends this premise another stage.

I must admit that I was a bit worried about this game when I heard it was going to be a more action based offering than DS2 and would also come with full co-op. I like co-op games but I like to have games that are purely single player too. It was these changes that ruined the Resident Evil franchise for me. Once I could only play with an AI following me about I really started to enjoy them less.

So, let's do the co-op first. What's really important for me is that you can play DS3 as a 1-player without an AI. You do meet up with the other characters at regular times, and they do have to stretch the narrative a tad to make it work, but it does work. There are trophies and collectibles that you cannot get unless you play with a partner, and that is a bit irksome, but I can live with it.

Now, the action versus horror point. The demo made me think that the whole game would be on that ice planet, and much of it is, but not all. It starts out in space and on various ships and I enjoyed that. Yes, there's less skulking around and being frightened of every noise and every shadow, but they haven't lost that completely. The new ammo and weapon crafting changes the ethos of the game too, and it took me a while to get used to the latter, but it's actually quite fun once you do. There are more occasions when you are swarmed by baddies from all sides, especially in the optional missions, and it's a real struggle, but these happened in DS2 and even in DS1. Those damned annoying regenerative beasties do turn up quite early on but they are only in one chapter and one side mission, so it's bearable.

I should just point out at this point that I haven't played all the co-op missions yet, but I fully intend to. However, I have now played through the whole game several times, and even tried the Classic, Pure Survival and Hardcore modes, and I wouldn't put that much effort into a game that I'm not really enjoying, I assure you.

I've read some consternation around micro-transactions, and I understand that, but I've finished all modes without buying anything extra, although I do have the Limited Edition game and its extras, and I am no young gaming god.... far from it!

It does feel like a natural progression for the series, but I do hope that there are survival horror games still available for those of us who enjoy them, and that games such as DS never lose sight completely of what made them great in the first place.

Overall, I think you do need to tweak your expectations of Dead Space a bit, and the third installment might not be quite as easy to get fully into as the other two, but it's still a brilliant franchise and another excellent game that I will come back to time and time again.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]