5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and impressive., 31 Dec 2009
This review is from: Nokia N900 Sim Free Mobile Computer with Maemo 5 Software (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Having finally obtained an N900 direct from NOKIA and having cancelled my 3 month old Amazon order (thanks guys, nice work) I have to report that I'm very impressed with the device.
Setup is easy and I had my GMail and NTLWorld email accounts running quite quickly just by using the automatic configuration application. The browser is stunning and very quick, it's easy to browse any site and even small links can be clicked on using a finger rather than the stylus so the resistive screen is really not an issue. I particularly like the way that SMTP servers can be set up as connection dependant, so I can use a different SMTP server depending on what data access point I've got (3G, WiFi routers etc) and the device automatically sends through the correct one. It also gets a data connection from whatever is available automatically so here in my friends house it's prioritising her WiFi and not the GSM connection. It was always a nuisance using my N95 to have to manually tell the phone what connection to use, the N900 just does it all for me, great!
The UI takes a few minutes to become intuitive (do read the manual) but really is very simple. The contacts are marvellous. Set up a contact and they populate throughout the relevant apps on the device. Include a mobile number and there's an automatic SMS button on the contact entry (etc).
The phone app works well and I've had no problems but be aware that the microphone mute button has a permanent red line through it. I was pressing it to remove the line and unmute the mic but that's not what happens. The mike mutes/unmutes but there's no graphical change so be warned. If you think your mic is not working then try pressing the unmute button!
The hard keyboard is really good and reviews claiming that there's not enough space above the top row of keys are incorrect in my opinion. I can type quite easily. It's possible to lock the number keys into number mode by pressing the blue fn key twice and that helps a lot.
The display resolution and general clarity is excellent and I can read all the text of the top half of the BBC News website on one page (for example).
Battery life is 'interesting' but not catastrophic. It's no worse than my N95 and there's a lot more going on.
It's a slightly chunky paperweight kinda thing too but that's exacerbated by having to hold it horizontally, it's really not that bad.
I've downloaded 'Bounce', a demo game that uses the accelerometer to control a rolling ball across a beautiful landscape. The stereo audio and graphical quality is amazing and this has the potential to be a good gaming device.
What really impressed me is the option for internet radio. 30 or so internet radio stations are pre-configured and sound really good. Now I can listen to the World Service anywhere I choose, Rock & Roll eh guys!
So, it's a fine device and I'm impressed. I've only had it a day so I'll be more impressed still when I've got thoroughly used to it and the firmware has been updated to improve the (already good) experience. Recommended despite NOKIA's release incompetence!

[Add comment]