4.0 out of 5 stars Clean carpets as easily as vacuuming!, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Vax V-026RD Rapide Deluxe Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a long history with carpet cleaners, having the kind of house that has lots of visitors, lots of family, and lots of animals, none of whom understand about removing fur, shoes and mud before they enter and throw themselves all over my floors....

I currently have a huge Vax carpet cleaner which does a perfect job, but it's very big indeed and I have to heave it in from the garage when it has to do duty, so I don't use it as often as I should. Since my puppy is still learning the difference between 'house' and 'garden' in regard to doing *her* duty, cleaning up puddles is quite a frequent job at the moment, and I've been doing it with bucket and sponge...

So I was thrilled to find this Vax carpet cleaner because it's so neat and tidy: no bigger than the average upright vacuum cleaner: it fits easily in the cupboard under the stairs. It also carries all its tools on board, so I could go all round the house without going back to collect the tools. Also it's got a really long cord, so I could plug it in centrally. Excellent!

Basically, you fill the tank with carpet cleaner and warm water from the tap, and away you go. By holding the button under the cleaner's handle, the water is sprayed onto the carpet while you draw the cleaner backwards and forwards. There is a bar with brushes that scrub as you go (you can turn that off if you want). Then you take your finger off the button and the cleaner sucks the dirty water back into the machine. It couldn't be simpler - and the water was shockingly filthy!! I recommend you vacuum thoroughly before you clean because dog hairs clog it up in no time and it stops working properly.

It gets the carpet very clean and pretty dry afterwards as well, although I drew the cleaner back and forward a few times in 'sucky' mode until no more water was sucked up.
My sitting room carpet is thick pile and cream coloured, and came up really well, and the kitchen carpet is green Flotex and came up brilliantly - like new. The hall is thick pile too and the study is very cheap nylon stuff: all looked great after I'd finished and dried quickly.

I'm really impressed with this Vax, and the best bit is that I can clean the carpets and then just undo the attached tools and clean the upholstery. It's easy to quickly whip out for puppy puddles or spills as well. It's no more difficult than normal vacuuming and it's not especially noisy either.

Why only 4 stars? Because I had to assemble it myself, using 4 screws to attach the handle and the tool base. It wasn't too difficult, but the instructions were a bit confusing to follow and in any case I think it should come ready assembled.

But the cleaning I can't fault and you won't be disappointed with this. Great machine. Highly recommended.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]