5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a light user, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 620 Sim-Free Windows Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
After a great deal of research, I convinced my mum (mid 50's and who has never had a smart phone) that this was the way forward. As you will see from my other reviews, I have the 620's big brother, the 920, and there were so many areas of this phone that impressed my mum that as soon as the 620 was announced I knew it was the way forward for her.

The screen is really very impressive, and ever so slightly bigger than the iPhone 4S. We've been happy with how sharp videos and pictures look and, most importantly, it works well in the daylight while outside. This was something that was important to my mum. We were initially a bit unsure that the screen would be big enough, but the reduced size does mean that it is much easier to hold. My mum simply wouldn't have been able to hold the 920 for an extended period of time so the size of the 620 is perfect for her.

Having never had a smart phone before, she is really pleased with the choice and availability of apps. To be honest this is something that I do think is blown out of proportion by many iPhone and android users. Yes, the total number of apps is fewer in the windows store but really all that is missing is the fringe and obscure apps. My advice, check out the apps that you use the most on android or iOS are available on windows before you make the switch; chances are they all will be.

I'm pleased that nokia have found a way to put the apps like city lens and nokia music on the 620. City lens in particular is something mum has used recently and she thought it was simple to use and intuitive and, most importantly, does what it's supposed to in a really helpful way (she used it to find a restaurant while in Southampton recently).

There's plenty of space available on the phone, with 8gb of internal memory, 7gb of sky drive space and the option to add a memory card. More than enough for almost every user.

The battery is ok, but not anything special. I've tried to tailor this review to the same kind of user that my mum is, that is a light user,and the battery is fine for her. She usually charges it every 2 days. If you're going to be giving this to a teenager, chances are they will go through that battery every day and it might be an idea to get a spare for emergencies.

All in all, as a first experience of a smart phone, this has been a revelation for my mum. The price (either pay monthly or payg) is extremely competitive and as an overall package I think this rivals the lumia 820. I've tried to capture all the relevant points and I can't think of any reason why this doesn't warrant a 5 star review. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the best value for money phone on the market- easily.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Apr 2013 23:17:33 BDT
Dean says:
There is an app on Windows Phones called appswitch and the app allows user to search an android or iPhone app and it will show you an alternative! All the big apps are there

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2013 12:05:34 BDT
wozinaname says:
Is there a turn by turn GPS app with live traffic? I cant seem to find one.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2013 12:46:39 BDT
H. Edwards says:
Yes, there is it's built into Nokia Drive - free for Lumia owners

Posted on 28 Apr 2013 15:36:49 BDT
bramble1 says:
Thank you. Extremely helpful, as I'm trying to choose a SIM-free budget-price smartphone for a friend who's never had one before - just like your mum!

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 19:17:42 BDT
mariopops says:
extremely useful review- Thanks! This sounds like the phone for me ...

Posted on 16 Sep 2013 17:53:12 BDT
langdale says:
Extremely useful. I am a 50 year old mother of three teenagers who are all techno whizzkids! I have no idea what they are talking about half the time so when my new 620 arrives I shall not feel like a techno numpty anymore! I have tried my neice's 520 and was impressed by how easy it was to use so thanks for your review of the 620 - most encouraging for us oldies!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2013 13:09:06 GMT
wozinaname says:
Are you sure? I cant find anything confirming live traffic on the net. I know its got turn by turn gps, but will Nokia drive take into account traffic when forming routes? Its usually an extra on other gps apps.

Posted on 21 Nov 2013 22:08:17 GMT
Perfect also for a heavy user who wants a small device!
This is the smallest WP8 device available... compact even in a leather case!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2013 09:33:14 GMT
Phil Wiffen says:
As of 29th November 2013, Here Drive+ (formerly Nokia Drive+) takes live traffic into account when routing a new journey. Version number is: 4.0.5399.0.

Posted on 25 Jun 2014 13:38:29 BDT
denise says:
does it also have a front camera as well as back please
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (155 customer reviews)

242.99 145.21
Reviewer

R. Forse
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Taunton, England