3.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste but still enjoyable nevertheless, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Femme Fatale (Audio CD)
Me, give a Britney album three stars? Surely not. As a huge Britney fan for over a decade, it's almost unthinkable to give Britney a negative review, but sadly, this era followed the current trend of dance pop that is perfect for nightclubs, which is not something I'm particularly fond of. While I do like some of the dance-pop, such as Eyes Wide Shut by JLS for example, I prefer a more traditional pop sound, so Britney's team deciding to go in this direction for album number 7 is a disappointment to me (although I can completely see why they would choose to, with this kind of music being so popular in recent years). I also admit I have no real idea of what dub-step is. If you like dub-step and dance music, this album might be for you.

I wasn't going to purchase this album initially, but I realised that, for £3, I might aswell add it to my Britney collection. I listened to a few tracks beforehand and deemed them potentially pleasing, so I thought, what the heck.

I read somewhere that this album was originally going to be Britney's usual, urban-pop sound, but was changed to dance. As I said, I understand why they would think this a good idea, and for a lot of people, it was. But I wish they had gone with the original sound. "He About to Lose Me" is one of my favourites on the album; it sounds like it could have been on "In The Zone", with its sexy, urban sound. Unfortunately, Britney's more traditional urban beats end here.

I normally have a lot more to say about Britney's albums, but I find myself lost for words here. While many of the songs are enjoyable, they don't really stand out as great tracks. Fun and enjoyable tracks include: "Inside Out," "How I Roll," "Seal it With a Kiss," "Big Fat Bass," "Gasoline," and "Don't Keep Me Waiting." These songs are great if you're in a fun, party mood. "(Drop Dead) Beautiful," "Trouble For Me," "Up and Down," and "Selfish" fall flat. The singles never really made an impression on me, with the exception of "Criminal;" while I don't dislike them, I tend to skip them.

Besides "He About to Lose Me," the stand-out track for me is definitely "Trip to Your Heart." I absolutely love it. It is fun, sweet, and addictive. The verse hooked me, and I can listen to it over and over. I'm quite sad that it wasn't released as a single, however I do think some would find it sickly and lacklustre. It's all a question of taste.

I recommend this album if you like dance-pop and dub-step. (Whatever that is. Maybe I'm getting old?) While I find this CD enjoyable, it is my least favourite of Britney's albums. I hope that "Britney Jean" returns to a more traditional, pure pop sound, but if "Work, Work" is anything to go by, it won't. "Perfume" is listenable though, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]