2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly not useful, 26 May 2011
This review is from: OCR Media Studies for A2 Third Edition (Paperback)
The examined part of OCR specification at A2 requires students to evaluate their own production work (so not that much a textbook can do besides talk a little in a very general way about the main areas of study, genre, narrative, digital production, forms and conventions, representations language etc.) but it can't really give anything specific since students will be analysing their own work,- a fact reflected in the fact that only a handful of pages in the book is given over to this section. The rest of the section dedicated to the exam section covers the range of option topics, global media, identity, 'we-media' and so on, of which students have to study one and have their own case studies so again, not that much a textbook can do here either besides offer some general guidance, which to be honest students at this level ought to know by the time they reach this stage.

there is some useful advice about practical work and a decent case study, but in short, a student who buys this book will probably only refer to about 10% of it, and feel at the end that it's all been a bit vague and non-specific.

It is however, very well written and Mr Mcdougal certainly knows his stuff.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Aug 2011 14:37:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2011 11:47:18 BDT
Alex DeLarge says:
My assesment I originally posted here was wrong and as an act of goodwill I've removed my comment.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 17:43:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2011 18:41:45 BDT
Nostromo says:
How so? Could it be because I don't like U2?

I found this book not very useful for the reasons I gave! I guess in your eyes that makes me a prat!

You've not yet written anything next to the negative review I gave to 'Tomorrow Never Dies' some years ago, surely not enjoying that makes me a total moronic prat too, especially if you liked it!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 15:11:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2011 11:48:48 BDT
Alex DeLarge says:
Ditto to my first posting here.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 18:37:56 BDT
Nostromo says:
Hopefully you'll forgive me if I just post a reply to this comment,-irrelevant though it is to this product, rather than all the others you have copied and pasted it on to. First up, and what antagonizes me the most, is that very irrelevance to this product. You seem to imply that because I don't like U2, my negative review for this product somehow makes me a prat. Have you read this book? If so, why do you disagree with me? Furthermore, I do not persist in posting antagonistic reviews for U2, I gave War 5 out of 5, would also do this for October and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb since I like them, very much in fact. I must confess to not particularly liking Bono (incidentally, I don't claim Bongo and The Hedge are original, inspired or witty names, they are just nicknames which have been applied to them at various times by various other people in the media, rather like calling Frank Sinatra Ol' Blue Eyes or Louis Armstrong Satchmo or even Mr T.Opcat since this is not your real name {although this is a self styled nomenclature like Bono and The Edge and therefore is not strictly speaking a nickname in the same sense} but they are nicknames, that's all, however, I'll call them Paul and David from now on if you'd rather). Fact is, as I was saying, I don't really like Paul, or David (but Adam is a great bassist-an opinion again), or Jeremy Clarkson, or Robbie Williams or Nicolas Cage or Ant & Dec, or the bloke who pretends to be an Italian opera singer on the Go Compare adverts and I'm sure you don't like everyone either because I find them annoying but I do concede that there are some things U2 have done which are more to my taste, and it is duly acknowledged in my reviews.
Now, I have been civil to you, refrained from calling you any names, given reasons why I have awarded low ratings for all the products I have and for those I have awarded high marks for:- even though it may simply come down to a personal liking or not, and finally, up until now that is, I have kept everything I've written relevant to the product under which it has been written. You, my friend, have done none of these things. Okay, so you like U2, arguably blindly so. Good for you, keep it up. I love The Jam but am not so blind as to be ignorant of the fact that some of their output was superior to other, in fact some of it was poor (sorry if that makes me a prat or a moronic idiot-or indeed a brainless troll, a new addition to the insult plethora there, thanks. However, I could retort with a list of my qualifications but I won't. It's plenty though and certainly enough to convince most people that your summary of me as a brainless troll is flawed) and I'm also not so narrow as to assume that anyone who disagrees with me or dislikes Paul Weller is in some way less of a person than me. If that makes you my enemy, well that's a relief! Someone without enemies has never stood up for anything!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2011 10:21:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Oct 2011 10:11:52 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2011 20:32:36 BDT
Nostromo says:
I wonder what the author of this book would make of this chat. Seeing the number of posts left about his book, he probably thinks we're having a damned good chinwag about the pros and cons of its content. How disappointed would he be? Anyway, to business. I assume from your last post that your vitriol towards me was fueled in part by your anger at the comments made by another reviewer. Hardly my fault. However, consider yourself forgiven due to our mutual love of the boys from Woking.

Reality check here mate- Captain Howdy, or anyone else for that matter doesn't have a go at U2 or anyone else because they 'think' they are entitled to, they do it because they 'are' entitled to and need no other reason than disapproval.

I notice you gave rather short shrift to a Mr Ess over his review of The Joshua Tree yet that is far from a knee jerk, bashing for the sake of it. If you want depth of reason for disliking the album there it is-yet it remains his view and therefore cannot possibly be wrong, at best it is only different from yours.

As for leaving it at that? Never. Life's too short for consensus. I will lay into any and all items I deem necessary, even those by Bongo and The Hedge (sorry,-Paul and David) and I would expect you to do the same, so long as it's not All Mod Cons.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2011 09:27:43 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 30 Sep 2011 14:32:50 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £8.00