3.0 out of 5 stars What about the previous generation?, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: What did the baby boomers ever do for us?: Why the Children of the Sixites Lived the Dream and Failed the Future (Paperback)
Firstly I should say that I've only just started this so it's not a review as such. But as I'm reading I can't help but disagree; it's not the Baby Boomers, but their elder cousins surely, who are more to blame? Blame is the wrong word really... we're all just making it up as we go after all. With the best intentions I'm sure!

Fair enough to say that the BBs have an "I'm alright jack" attitude, but they weren't in power in the 70s and 80s which is really when things started going downhill. I suppose you could argue that it's because of the BBs' easy ride that their elders may have resented them? I don't know.
My parents are the pre-war generation, born in the late 30s, so they are old enough to have experienced hard times, rationing etc. but still benefitted from the post-war system... grammar school and polytechnic/university education. By contrast the Comprehensive education that came after was a poor replacement! I look at photos of them in their twenties and it looks idyllic... they were all sharply dressed, with fancy cameras and amazing cars. They had their open-plan houses on mortgages that would soon be rendered insignificant by the boom to come, so that, they could buy a second home! Their younger cousins just copied them...
Margaret Thatcher was born in 1925, but it was her generation really that moulded the country we live in: New Labour just made it worse.
Will there be a backlash from the kids I wonder? The problem being, the "slacker" generation, or Generation X, have been rather over-indulged, but somehow have ended up being cynical and apathetic... any protestations to our parents fall on deaf ears anyway and the BBs are worse; every generation thinks it's right after all.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say in the end, but it seems unfair to blame one generation in particular for the mess we are now in. The real problem is apathy, how do we stop that?
Then again... what's the point...!! ;-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2013 14:28:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2013 14:30:43 GMT
You are right to say "it seems unfair to blame one generation in particular for the mess we are now in". But the real problem wasn't apathy.

We live in a country where fewer than 1% of any generation get near the levers of power and influence. The author of this book concentrates on such people, but they are not representative of the rest of us. I spent many years trying to help the UK get a better child support system. (I'm childfree - I didn't do it for money or to improve my own condition). What I did is comprehensively documented on my "Child Support Analysis" website. After many years I stopped banging my head against a brick wall and gave up. Individuals can't have much influence unless they are politicians themselves. Lobby groups themselves struggle.

The rest of us can do little but live our lives as best we can without deliberately harming people or thwarting their human rights. What happens to the country is mostly down to external factors (such as the global economy and what the USA decides), or chance, or what a handful of key politicians, typically ministers, decide to do. Obviously there were no conspiracies within the 1945-1955 (or any other) cohort. We were millions of (mostly law-abiding) individuals with lots of different aims and opportunities, not a voting-block with similar objectives.

For the record: only 25% of people in this cohort got to grammar school. The school leaving age was 15 except for the grammar school children where it was 16. Only 5% of this cohort got to university. About 19% of us have since died. Only 80% ever owned their own homes, and that percentage is declining, perhaps as people move into care. Don't judge the cohort by the ones who made the news!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›