5.0 out of 5 stars first impression, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Asus N550JV 15.6-inch Touchscreen Notebook (Steel Grey) - (Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Blu-ray Combo, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8 64 Bit) (Personal Computers)
I got this laptop 2 days ago (much earlier than promised) and I am still finding my way around it. However, as there are no reviews on this product, I thought I should share what I know by now.
1. Looks - it's anything but steel metal. The cover is metalic, but 'gun metal' would be more appropriate description. In fact is almost black. The bottom is black plastic, with 2 vents.
The keyboard is silver metalic and nicely spacious - comfortable to use, with a separate numeric pad. I am used to 'touch typing' and so far, very few errors. And it isn't jumpy!
The touchpad is large, sensitive and pleasant to use with integrated buttons. Responds to multigesture (not all tried yed, but pinch and vice versa worked fine).
As commented in one review, the edge of the optical drive door is rather rough. What is unusual, there is a narrow 'button' below the door to open the drive. A matter of getting used to it.
Nice symmetrical buttons on the top of the keyboard - on the right power button, on the left dedicated Asus button (haven't tried it yet).
The laptop is rather on a heavy side and relatively chunky. It's a touch slimmer than my old vaio, but is thicker than both new laptops that I recently tried, namely sony vaio fit and samsung ativ 8. Both had better looks, but sony was useless and samsung didn't have an optical drive - no good for me.
2. Ports - on the right side, there is one USB 3.0 port next to the optical drive; on the left 2 USB 3.0 ports, close to each other, one dedicated for charging external devices, HDMI, ethernet and small vega or equivalent (I have no need for those). There is also a microphone/headphone combo, a socket for the external subwoofer, and maybe something else but I cannot check it now.
3. The screen is a touch reactive, and the quality is standard (full HD) - no different than in sony or samsung. It works fine.
4. The optical drive is BD combo which means it reads Blu ray and can read and write DVD. It works fine. I wanted a BD writer and contacted the manufacturer but they don't make them for British market. No probs. As usually recording a BD takes a lot of time, you wouldn't keep it on your laptop anyway. I bought an external ASUS BD writer and yesterday I tried to copy a BD movie (about 40Gb) to a BD-RE disk. It wasn't rocket speed (which I couldn't expect as the disk had limitation of 2x)but it took about 3 hours.
What was amazing, there was no sound during the process - absolutely silent. Amazing.
5. USB 3.0 ports 2 next to each other come handy when using the slim Asus BD writer, as it comes with Y USB connection. You wouldn't need it for a Samsung BD writer, but Asus offers higher speeds.
Otherwise I could not test the ports, in the sense that I had only a Seagate external hard drive, supposedly USB 3.0 but it turned out that the transfer speed was only about 30Mb/s. Not good. The Seagate 1 Tb goes back. (Still withing 30 days of purchase and I am going to try western passport ultra).
6. Software. Reasonable pack, basic and almost no bloatware. There are some Asus programs (haven't tried), Adobe reader, basic Windows stuff on the front page... The asus dvd player (or whatever the name) is a derivate from the Cyberling Power DVD. As I bought an upgrade to v.13, that was supposed to work in the environment of previous versions, I wasn't sure if it would. No problems with installation and registration. Works fine.
Summary - a good, working laptop. Not something flashy and sparkly, but a decent package of hardware and software. As it was my 4th attempt to upgrade, I am happy that I finally got something that I can keep and use.
PS I am happy to answer questions - I may need some time to learn more about this machine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Oct 2013 16:06:11 BDT
Churchy192 says:

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2013 20:00:00 BDT
I assumed that anybody interested would visit Asus website and read specs for themselves. Also, the title is 'first impression'. I am still in the process of learning about new features and testing performance.
BTW it is a quad core, i7 forth generation, 2.2 GHz and it's supposed to be twice as good as one used in Sony Fit best configuration.

Posted on 24 Oct 2013 19:15:52 BDT
K. Cashin says:
Does this machine have a reflective screen or is it a matte finish?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 22:39:01 BDT
As most touch sensitive screens, it is rather shiny and reflective, especially in dark background on the screen, it almost serves as a mirror.
It's okay in most circumstances, but I didn't try it outside yet...

Posted on 29 Oct 2013 13:07:57 GMT
up to around what angle can you open up the screen?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2013 16:41:36 GMT
165 - 170 degree I think. It would not open completely flat, but close enough. Cannot imagine why would anybody need this...It doesn't rotate.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2013 17:08:49 GMT
Thanks, that's good enough. I needed to know this I always keep my laptop on a stand, at a low angle (so it won't take up much space on my desk) and if it doesn't open up well enough I can't use it as a good secondary screen.. just noticed that problem with another awesome machine I was just about to buy!

Posted on 4 Nov 2013 09:14:54 GMT
marcel says:
how do you find battery life, as it only quotes 3.5 hours, this seems the only negative aspect to me, it has everything else I want though.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2013 18:30:27 GMT
I am afraid this is a weak point. I haven't been testing the battery heavily as when I perform any longer tasks, I keep the laptop plugged.
On normal use (internet, light gaming) it probably lasts about 4 hours.
But then it was a reasonable compromise to me and this laptop won the competition (I tried a number of them).

Posted on 7 Nov 2013 02:58:23 GMT
Mike day says:
you do realise that the slow speeds you were getting transferring files to your seagate drive were not the seagate drive's fault right? It was the HDD in the laptop bottlenecking. I have an asus and after replacing the HDD with a solid state drive it now transfers files to my WD passports and various seagate drives considerably faster. You can see what i mean if you have two external drives and copy a file from one to another (circumventing the hard disk on your laptop) through the usb3.0 ports you will find it goes very fast. Many thanks for the review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›