21 of 23 people found the following review helpful
Worth waiting for
, 6 May 2008
This review is from: SIEMENS GIGASET S685 IP ECO DECT PHONE S685IP Twin Pack (Electronics)
I've waited a while for something like this to come along after reading reviews of previous gigasets. It was worth it.
I've had a few dect systems. Always 2 handsets and an answer phone. Firstly was a Philips jobby that I hankered to replace with something more snazy and mistakenly got a Magicbox system (the one with touch sensitive keys) and it was awful (kept activating speaker phone or hanging up when you touched the phone to your cheak).
So to the S68H (what the handsets are called):
* The keys are feel better quality than the other gigasets I pawed in shops.
* The IP telephony appears easy to set up, but is in the future for me
* It won't work with Skype, which is a shame (I'd hoped to become always on-line to distant releatives who use skype)
* The synchronisation works fully with most Outlooks (mine's 2007, on vista 32)
* It doesn't use the WLAN, only bluetooth ;-( so I had to buy a bluetooth dongle for my office PC where my main contacts file is
* It insisted on requiring the appending of the international dial tone and international area 44, before syncronising, so I had to remove the zero from teh front of all my contacts, as it then proceeeds to add 0044 to the front of all telephone numbers.
* But you only have to do this with one phone, you can send the directory to other handsets on the base station.
* Not synching contacts over wireless is very much like WindowsMobile devices, but odd considering you can adjust settings on the handsets through a web console just like you might on your router or switch.
* There's a couple of nifty screensavers, like getting weather forecasts for your village off t'internet and displaying a 5 day forecast.
* Or you can have it switch off all the back lights and be normal.
Speach quality is on a par with a swanky Jacob Jenses corded phone I've got.
* You can apparently pair bluetooth headsets, and I'm sure you can, but it didn't work first time with my Arcono that works with everything else I've thrown at it.
* It's nice not having the answerphone as a base station, means you can hide all but the handset and small cradle away. Any you can put all the handsets, where you like, even away from your phone line.
All in all, a pleasing purchase, one that I can't see something better than it appearing in the near future...
NB I was sent only the one handset package, an online request that I be sent an additional handset (as ordered) was resolved with the replacement arriving the next business day.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?