5.0 out of 5 stars "Cracking" clippers, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: BaByliss for Men Super Hair Clipper (Personal Care)
I will admit that I have only used these clippers once and they are only a week old but I felt compelled to write a review now so that I would not forget my findings so far. I will amend this as time goes by, if I feel that anything needs mentioning.

I spent over 3 weeks reading reviews on hair clippers. As usual, I targeted the 1 and 2 star reviews (because they tell you the most important issues) and those clippers where many people have responded. Most of the clippers had more than their fair share of issues but, to be fair, many were priced for the economy market so I wasn't surprised.

Just to give you an idea of my situation
I have wavy thick hair and I usually go for the No3 on the sides and short scissors on top. I use the No 8 comb over the top and then progressively work down to a No3 on the sides.
I have not tried the No1 and No2 combs so I can't comment on them but they are of the same build quality as the other combs.

So...

Good Points
These are the areas or points where this set of clippers has not failed, unlike so many others
1) Build quality is excellent. They really are very well made. I can't see anything breaking on it, any time soon.
2) Good weight and size, not too heavy. Certainly no flimsy/cheap feel about them. They look quite bulky on the amazon page but they are not.
3) Metal blades that cut extremely well, noise and vibration is more than satisfactory.
2) Can be used with the charger or on battery. Has a charging light that works.
3) Box was NEW, unopened and everything came in "Hygiene" sealed bag.. nice to know you wont suffer someone else's return.
4) 10 attachment combs (1-8 and a nice surprise, a left a right tapered ear attachment... so handy)
5) The attachment combs are well molded, seem very strong and certainly don't flex under load. So many people complained that the attachment combs on other models where flimsy (cheap) and so they suffered uneven cuts.
6) Comes with a satisfactory amount of lubrication oil and a small brush to clean it all up. Works brilliantly. Oiling before use is an easy process and, unlike some other reviews suggest, the oil does not effect the ease of cleanup and certainly doesn't make your head smell like a car engine. (I wonder what oil they were using)
7) 5 year guarantee.
8) The distributor in Ireland (XSell) had them to me in just 2 working days. They "Suggested 2-5 working days, estimated it would arrive in 5 days, but got it to me in England in 2. No Issues with the order at all.

Bad Points (hey! I had to put something)
1) It would have been nice to get a comb and a pair of scissors, as some of their other kits do but to be honest, with all the attachment combs, I doubt I would ever use the scissors.
2) The fine taper leaver is not click graduated. To be honest, it has significant resistance for this to be unnecessary, and with the plethora of combs, I hardly use the taper adjustment anyway.
3) A nice storage bag , rather than the el-cheapo plastic one would have been nice... Still, it works and is good enough for the job and it is the clippers that matter. Of all the things that are likely to fail... it will be the bag.

Summary
In the end I looked at it this way. With the price of getting a hair cut and the hassle of having to go to the barbers, these clippers will pay for themselves in 6 months easy and if I purchased a cheaper set and they fail, I will have to go through the "buy another pair or warranty return" hassle and they will end up in landfill... just more unwanted rubbish. What can I say?... you get what you pay for!

6 month update

About time to write an update (and fix my poor grammar :-)).
I have used the clippers 4 times now (and all on 1 charge too).
No problems so far. Nothing broken, no failings, and no unexpected surprises
Still working great!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Nov 2012 15:41:02 GMT
Mac Addict says:
thanks for the review, I will now be purchasing this tripper.

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 02:34:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2012 02:37:46 GMT
Will says:
yeah I will definitely be buying a BaByliss set if I need to. I own a BaByliss experts clipper set (similiar to this only also has scissors, comb, barber cape and does have a very useful fine click taper) and have owned it for about 6 years and it has been faultless to this day and never been to the barbers since owning it. If anything does go wrong I will definitely stick with these guys.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012 11:41:22 GMT
Vinderlew says:
Thanks for the comprehensive review and mini training session! Will buy my own as I'm fed up with my hairdresser's prices, and I can cut my hair in about the same time I usually spend waiting in line.

Posted on 14 Sep 2013 22:22:27 BDT
J Hoolin says:
Is it water resident? I.e Use in the showers.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 03:40:54 GMT
Alexei Karam says:
Do you guys cut your own hair (head) all by yourselves with this? Is this really possible? I am asking cause after reading all the good reviews I did buy myself a Babyliss expert but I use it only to trim body hair, it would be great if I can also fix my head with it by myself.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 15:48:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2014 15:54:44 GMT
Will says:
Alexei, yes of course! That's what they are meant for. Check the little manual out for some tips. It is simple to cut your own hair and achieve the same results as going to any barber. I also have a babyliss expert set.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2014 17:47:17 GMT
Richard Bray says:
I too was riddled with body hair but after buying this product I was completely as smooth as a peach. Thank you for the great reviews that prompted me to buy this product. But alas I have had my Babyliss confiscated and so now I am back in my monkey cage at Chester Zoo my hair is getting lush again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (215 customer reviews)

£60.00 £45.99