2.0 out of 5 stars NB: By comparison, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Verdi: Simon Boccanegra: Live from the Royal Opera House [2010] [DVD] (DVD)
What is depressing is if you really want Simon Boccanegra on DVD you are overwhelmed with Domingo live performances. Gobbi, Cappuccilli, Silveri, (Milnes and Hampton on DVD) are all better by far. Domingo can ONLY be compared to other baritones in this role and he fails.

I do not deny his stature as one of the great 20th Century singers, but that should not give him license to do anything without fair criticism. Domingo is not a baritone, and while his stage presence might fill the shoes of Boccanegra, his thin, hollow "baritone" voice does not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jan 2013 19:50:54 GMT
KaleHawkwood says:
I simply don`t agree - and what about other aspects of this stunning production? The design, direction, the other singers...
Two stars? Bah!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 21:05:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 14:19:24 GMT
Viva Verdi says:
Of course it's fine that you disagree, and I agree that the other aspects of the production are worth more than two stars, but I'm afraid I am unrepentant. The fuss about Domingo singing Boccanegra (Rigoletto and now Nabucco) is simply not balanced. He was a great singer - he is no longer, and his voice, as a baritone, lacks everything that the great baritones had (like Gobbi, Merrill, Milnes) which is fullness of tone, throughout the voice, volume and colour. Domingo pales in comparison and that is fair reason for me to criticize his entering the repertoire. So to award four or five stars but say Domingo is no good would be unbalanced because Simon is the linchpin to the opera - using your premise Tom Jones could sing Boccanegra and his fans would probably award five stars too.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2013 16:23:35 BDT
I'm with you on this one. And, it should be said, you are not the only reviewer (as opposed to fan) to be lukewarm on Domingo's move to the baritone roles.

However, keeping going a touch too long is not uncommon in opera -- Panerai was singing a couple of performances of Rigoletto in Genoa earlier this year and they were sell-outs....

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2013 18:29:19 BDT
Viva Verdi says:
Yep, I thought the same of Silvano Carroli straining through "La Fanciulla del west" last year at the ROH. Actually, some "past it" singers can pull it off- Renato Bruson sang late in his career, and I saw Leo Nucci in Nabucco, before Domingo arrived, and he delivered the goods.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 13:27:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2013 13:33:46 BDT
Unfortunately, even though I tried, I didn't see Domingo's Boccanegra 'live' at either the Met, ROH or La Scala (but I've seen all the telecasts) and it is true, Viva Verdi, that he doesn't have the baritonal vocal prowess of some of the great Boccanegra's (Milnes, Hvorostovsky & Chernov are amongst my personal favourites), but you can't take-away Domingo's achievement here - and in my opinion, for what it's worth, he's given my family so much pleasure over the last fifty years or so, that in my view, he can jolly well sing whatever he likes! He's weak as a young man, I agree, but 25 years later, his interpretation is as good as any I've seen (and I think I have every available DVD/Bluray) and go to see this masterpiece whenever I can secure a ticket. What I don't understand (and I am not in anyway impuning your opinion) is why you are so "depressed by the overwhelming number of Domingo DVD/Blurays." Of the 16 Boccanegras available on DVD/Bluray, only three have Domingo singing the baritone role. For a mature Verdi opera (and I'm really referring to the revised 1880 version) that is not that often performed, I think buyers have a very varied choice. More so than with Aida or Don Carlos, if truth be known. So, I do think you have been a little ungracious and a wee-bit harsh awarding just two stars here, when you consider all the other aspects raised, but that is your opinion and I respect that, even if I don't necessarily agree.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 14:34:27 BDT
Viva Verdi says:
I went to see Nabucco early this year at the ROH with Leo Nucci, who was sharing the role with Domingo. I saw Domingo's version on TV, and again, I have to reaffirm he DOES NOT compare as a baritone. In my defence if you look at several Domingo (as a tenor) CDs I have reviewed I'm in complete agreement with you - he brought me, and millions of others, great entertainment and thrills. My gripe here is soley about his venture into the Baritone repertoire. He obviously dearly loves performing but I'm afraid it's a question of the elephant in the room - one cannot excuse his present failed ventures, in my opinion, by his past achievements. Why not have Jose Carreras strain his way through a baritone role? I know two stars may seem harsh but it is not two stars against Domingo's career, it is only in the context of him singing Simon when he does not have the weight of voice. I have to add that I think his recent album of Verdi arias is awful, there's no other word I can think of using.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 15:17:59 BDT
I have to confess that I thought his Rigoletto was quite weak and we didn't bother to try and see Nabucco. I sort of thought his Simon was to be his farewell to the opera stage; sometimes these people don't know when to finish, do they? I took my two boys to see Pavarotti right at the end of his career (they were desperate to see him, because they had heard all sorts of praise from us) and he was awful too. I actually don't disagree with your critisisms and wonder if Domingo should consider calling it a day - but it must be a difficult decision actually deciding to give up. Especially when everyone around you is constantly telling you how wonderful you are. C'est la vie.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2014 15:00:59 GMT
The bad reviews of PD's 'Foscari' a few weeks ago might finally convince him to bow out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›