Customer Review

54 of 68 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PUT BOILING WATER IN THIS, 3 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Thermos Stainless Steel Food Flask - 290 ml, Blue (Kitchen & Home)
Do not put boiling water in this.
My daughter put boiling water in this, leaving a reasonable amount of space (i.e. not up to the top)and put the lid on securely.. walked from the kitchen a few paces, the metal sides sucked in and the top blew off. She has suffered a dreadful burn to the inside of her forearm, it has been dressed for 2 weeks now, had a tetanus injection (recommended by GP) and has been in absolute agony. Luckily she had just put her 12 month old to bed and wasn't carrying him at the time. She will be contacting Consumer Affairs & Thermos (in Australia) about this. This is a DANGEROUS product for boiling water. There is no warning accompanying this product advising not to put boiling water in it. Please be warned.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

[Add comment]
Post a comment
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Amazon will display this name with all your submissions, including reviews and discussion posts. (Learn more)
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

As a representative of this product you can post one Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)
After clicking on the Post button you will be asked to create your public name, which will be shown with all your contributions.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.  Learn more
Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
 
System timed out

We were unable to verify whether you represent the product. Please try again later, or retry now. Otherwise you can post a regular comment.

Since you previously posted an Official Comment, this comment will appear in the comment section below. You also have the option to edit your Official Comment.   Learn more
The maximum number of Official Comments have been posted. This comment will appear in the comment section below.   Learn more
Prompts for sign-in
 

Comments


Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2011 22:08:15 BDT
C. Goff says:
Sorry about your daughter. Physics lesson: The boiling water heated up the air in the container. When the top was screwed on, the hot air cooled. Cool air takes up less space than hot air, and it caused a vacuum in the jar, which must have been strong enough to buckle the sides and cause the lid to pop off. Probably a freak accident, and unlikely to be repeated. She would have been better off if she put in more water, since there would be less air in there to contract.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 23:44:54 GMT
Blue Sky 99 says:
Yes, so sorry to hear about this little girl's unfortunate accident. I do hope her forearm healed properly.
Your physics lesson is a very useful reminder for all those of us who would do well to keep in mind basic science in our daily lives but rarely do (especially when we are in a rush in the morning!). Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2014 00:00:55 GMT
h. O. Byrne says:
these things are good to know! thank you forewarned is forearmed and thanks to original lady for telling us about this. i think any flask will probably do this so i will be more careful in future!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

S. Turner
(REAL NAME)   

Location: Western Australia

Top Reviewer Ranking: 726,477