5.0 out of 5 stars I suppose it takes all kinds...!!!, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Game of Thrones - Season 3 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I have written before about the series so I won't do it again.It is simply excellent,whichever way you look at it.
I am,however,extremely amused by reviewers who rate this one(...or any other outstanding piece of cinematography...)with one-star only(meaning trash...)because the dvd is either expensive,or not functioning properly,or it has arrived late,and so on,and so forth !!
In my mind this is the equivalent of buying a Turner painting and trashing it because : it was expensive,or the frame is not nice,or the gallery delivered it late,,or the painting itself needed some "cleaning" !!!
But,I suppose,it takes all kinds ....!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2014 10:33:35 GMT
M. Cox says:
I couldn't agree more! You certainly hit the nail on the head! So many people don't realize that the review section is for the content, i.e the songs on an album or the film on the DVD, not Amazon or the seller's service, which should be taken-up elsewhere on the site! I don't need to know if their DVD case arrived damaged, I need to know if it was a good film or program!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2014 11:33:35 GMT
Lazaros K. says:
Thank you for your comment.However,as I've already implied,if all people were to think alike(.....or even just to think...)it would be a preety boring world ! It "takes all kinds" to keep it interesting !!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2014 01:07:21 GMT
R. Pearsall says:
I beg to differ!

When you complete the feedback there are specific questions related to whether the item arrived on time or how courteous the seller was (if you needed to contact them). Why would these questions be included if Amazon don't want these aspects to be included in the review?

Clearly, a review should be all encompassing and not only related to the service so reviews can be honest and give detail of the film.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 11:52:59 GMT
Dear mr Pearsall
I fully agrre that the buyer is entitled to state his complaints on these issues.What I do not agree with is that complaints of an incidental,random,or "technical"nature,which could well be individual one,should take total priority over the ones of "universal"nature,such as the "artistic" or " literary" nature of a "work of art",such as a movie is supposed to be.I believe that the former would be far more effective if addressed to "Amazon"directly.who,after all,are responsible to fix them
Best Regards
Lazaros K.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2014 19:46:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2014 08:51:48 BDT
R Pearsall,you are incorrect.
The feedback on an item bought on Amazon is specifically aimed at the seller of the product to make that seller aware of the quality(or lack of)of his delivery speed,packaging,service etc.
The star rating and comment are posted on the sellers site as a guide for other potential buyers who might(or might not)purchase a product from that seller.
The review section for a product is for making an assessment of the product(a film,music or whatever),to help others in making a decision whether the product would be to their taste or liking(or disliking).
I very rarely see the name of a seller on a review:this would go against Amazons guidelines which state that a review should not contain advertisements specifically.
And Amazon review guidelines specifically state that delivery/price etc comment SHOULD NOT be included when reviewing a product.
Let me put it another way:when I read a review of a film in the Sunday Times the journalist doesn't tell the readership that the taxi he arrived in was scruffy or slow or that the usherette was courteous.The review is about the film alone.
L.K. and M Cox,I am in total aggreement with you both.
And is it no surprise that the people who mention price,delivery speed,service etc ON A REVIEW site are totally ignored as they are not giving us,the reader,any benefit of their experiance of the product.
By the way,L.K.,your reviews are very honest and interesting.Keep up the good work.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014 09:36:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2014 09:37:22 BDT
Dear mr.Stirling
I am sure that you realise that I speak truthfully,as always,when I say that yours is the most interesting comment I have ever seen on any of my reviews.You have "clarified" the issue of what the reviews should be about thoroughly ,and with a finality that is rarely encountered in this forum.Although your comment is not,primarily,addressed to me,but to mr.Pearsall,you have ,in the final paragraph,described my reviews as "honest and interesting".I do thank you for that.Yet,as we are both aware,I'm sure,"honest and interesting",flattering as they may sound, do not really constitute a critical approach to any short of writing, or even an expressed opinion.They are a statement of perception ,rather, than a "qualitative"evaluation.I would,therefore,be much obliged if you would merit any single one of my reviews,on a stand alone basis,or their aggregate,as a whole, with a "critical analysis and conclusive opinion".I believe that your assessment could prove to be most helpful to me, in more than one ways.
Most sincere regards
L.K.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 09:44:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2014 10:04:42 BDT
L.K.,thanks for your very generous compliment re my post.
I often fall into a trap when reviewing,which is to give my opinion on 'certain aspects' of the product;I feel that the Product Description tells the reader what it does----for example a food blender mixes ingredients to a pulp,a detective film may be about the search for a serial killer who is reenacting the 7 deadly sins etc.
I omit details of the overall plot or purpose of the object being reviewed because its already been said.
I may be wrong, because readers may want the general or overall view as well as the specifics and the detail;many of the successful reviews(which garner the highest helpful votes) are often comprehensive of plot but include that 'certain aspect'(detailed observations,personal viewpoint).
I am often too lazy to review in that manner.By the time I've used my spelling dictionary(often during the course of a review) my thread gets lost and my flow is interupted continually.
Consequently most of my reviews are fairly brief.
You are Greek,you may suffer from the same problem when using the English language though I'm not implying anything----your reviews have a certain flow to them.
My compliments to you again for this review which most of us would empathize with.
Regards,Bob.
P.S. As an example of my own failing I've just looked at my review of Jericho - Season 1 [DVD] ;it's full of personal opinion and observation but nothing about the plot, which is the crux of the series.People will want to know what I'm reporting on but I've not included a synopsis of the plot.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 11:30:37 BDT
Dear mr Stirling

Thank you for your kind reply.I must say that I agree almost in every respect with what you say.In my opinion,however,the one general rule about how one should proceed with a film review is that he should do it in the way that is most effective for himself.He should focus on what he,himself,is better at,even at the expense of other aspects that could be equally important.So I do not think that you have to explain to anyone how and why you do your one reviews.The method is your prerogative,and that's that.
Unfortunately I cannot contribute anything about your "Jericho" review,for the very simple reason that I have never seen the series !
Best Regards
L.K.

P.S. One of my "sins" is that I never use the "spelling dictionary" and I very rarely "proofread" my reviews before I post them.As I belong to a "pre computer",pensil and paper,generation,I am used to producing texts without any "external assistance",and since that was,usually,done under severe "time constricts",I rarely had the time to review such texts.So ,if any mistakes slip through now,I have no one but myself to blame !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›