4.0 out of 5 stars Another Nice Reissue, 3 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Eve (Remastered/Expanded) (Audio CD)
What's going on with this release at Amazon? I had to order these from another site because, even when I'm writing this (two weeks after actually receiving it) you still can't seem to order it through this site....

Anyway, that aside..... this is part of the final three CD set of Alan Parsons Project reissues. I have all three, but this is the first one I've started listening too.

Often referred to as a "missing gem" of APP, I must say I've been enjoying it quite a bit - after four or five listens. First time around though I thought it was a little poorer than the albums that surround it. Whereas the other albums seem to me to be rock albums, wrapped in AOR - there are times when this is more pop orientated, and ever so slightly (bad) disco.

However, five or so listens in, and I'm beginning to appreciate it a little more. The instrumentals are good, and You Lie Down With Dogs and Damned If I Do are actually classic APP tunes. Another interesting song is I'd Rather Be A Man, which starts as though it'll be another instrumental before breaking out into song. Fun.

The booklet is decent - but is carries over the (very) annoying tendency to have text from other booklets included. So maybe a third of the text in the booklet is unique to this release, the rest you've probably read before (assuming, as I do, that if you're buying one of these releases, you're buying them all).

As for the bonus tracks - there's nothing embarrassing here. And as with Vulture Culture, there's actually one rarity that is quite beautiful - Elsie's Theme. This is an instrumental track, played on acoustic piano, no accompaniment. Sounds great (would love to have had more from these sessions).

Sound quality is good, though maybe this one doesn't come up to the standards of the other reissues.

Finally - I wish, given we've had extended booklets, they'd have given us the lyrics. The original (nor bin worthy) release had them, so why not this spanking new version?

Anyway - I'd rate this nearer the bottom of the APP albums. That's mainly because the standards set by the others is very high. I hope Amazon get things sorted out and start selling this title. It's worth your upgrade/money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Sep 2014 07:51:55 BDT
K. Kitts says:
I also had a problem with Amazon.com (the US site). They sent me the old version, and when I contacted customer service, I got some guy with a foreign name telling me that he's sending a complaint to their catalog department. he also said it would take about 7 business days to get it fixed. I'm still waiting (it's been 5 business days, and no change has occurred), but I'm glad it's up here. If I don't get a change by the middle of next week, I'll be contacting them and telling them to copy this site's page (and berating them for not doing so earlier). If that fails, I'll order it here and give it a 1-star rating there with a transcript of my emails to customer support.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›