4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasingly traditional British comedy, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gambit [DVD] (DVD)
Knowing that the Coen brothers were behind this remake of the 1960's movie, we vaguely expected some of their trademark surreal strangeness. Instead Gambit is a very traditional British film which feels like it could have been made in Ealing, back in the day. It's all very low key, very wry; gently humorous in a self-mocking manner, with the occasional acerbic stab lurking in the beautifully understated lead performance from Colin Firth.
In fact, all of the leads are excellent; Alan Rickman and Firth play brilliantly off one another, and Cameron Diaz provides exactly the right amount of brash Murcan razzle-dazzle as the cowgirl who happens to be lending a hand with an audacious art theft. Stanley Tucci deftly carries off a ludicrously over the top caricature of an appalling international art boffin.
The true star is the script, however, which cheerfully ambles into the arena of traditional 'where's my trousers' farce without a hint of postmodernist cynicism. The scenes in the Savoy Hotel fall just on the right side of ridiculous, with double entendre tripping over outright innuendo at every turn.
There are few moments of shrieking hilarity in Gambit, but instead the 90 minutes has a cumulative feelgood effect, with a near-perfect payoff at the finale. A delightful, old fashioned comedy.
8/10

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2012 15:30:58 GMT
Sevvysgirl says:
Thank you so much for this review. I've been desperate to see this film since I first heard about it nearly two years ago - as I'm a huge Alan Rickman fan! I'm hoping to see it this week at my local cinema but, so far, have only read bad reviews. However, having watched the trailer and a few clips of it now, I could guess it was 'an old fashioned' comedy, clearly not outrageous and 'in-your-face' enough for the current climate of reviewers, and more likely to appeal to oldies (I'm nearly 50!) like me! You've summed up everything I thought it would be, and made me more determined than ever to get to Screen 4 at my local Odeon (hopefully that's where it's on!) I was never expecting huge laughs, but if I come out with a smile (and have had a viewing of Alan Rickman in his birthday suit and Colin Firth without trousers), then that's good enough for me ... simple pleasures at my age! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 15:43:23 GMT
You're welcome! I think it's been poorly marketed; much more likely to appeal to people who like 'Marigold Hotel' rather than the typical modern comedy crowd. If you can't see it on a big screen, it'll work perfectly well as a Saturday night sofa movie...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 10:08:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2012 10:09:46 GMT
Sevvysgirl says:
I really loved 'Marigold Hotel', so I'm glad you said that! And it's looking more likely that it will end up as a "Saturday night sofa movie" now in any case, as, sadly, I'm too unwell currently to get to the cinema ... However, I will definitely be buying it on DVD anyway - to add to my 'Alan Rickman Collection', sad soul that I am! :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (78 customer reviews)

17.99 4.88