1.0 out of 5 stars Would be a great game except..., 5 Mar 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II (PC) (Video Game)
Ubisoft seems to now been crippling all their new games with a draconian DRM solution that means you need an always on internet connection and an Ubisoft account to play the game, even for singleplayer. If I want to play the game on a long journey I can't, if I want to play the game in a hotel on a business trip I can't, if I want to play it whilst staying at my parents who don't have the internet I can't. Even worse if your internet connection blips for any reason the game freezes which is AMAZINGLY and INDESCRIBABLY annoying until it can reach the Ubisoft server again!!! It TOTALLY ruins the gaming experience. Lastly you do no get the entire game on your disk, another reason to have a constant internet connection is that the game needs to download little sections of code for you to be able to complete the game. So what happens when they eventually turn their server off?! They say they'll patch the game...I don't believe them.

Game 8/10, DRM solution -1,000,000/10 giving a final score of -999,992. A good game totally ruined by the worst copy protection system I've ever witnessed as a PC gamer!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-29 of 29 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 18:52:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Nov 2011 18:57:32 GMT
Griesmayer says:
Indeed. Brotherhood and Revelations only require a one-time online activation (well, a LOT of games ask for this, so I don't have any issues with that), and from there on, they just require a disc check, so no problem.

Regarding Assassin's Creed II: I ended up downloading the torrent AND also bought the retail Digital Deluxe Edition from the store. That way, I'm not a pirate, but can still play Assassin's Creed II on my netbook offline. And for my gaming desktop, I also have access to the Uplay content, and the 3 Templar Lairs - if any PC player has skipped AC II because of the DRM, and at the same time, doesnt want to do anything illegal, he is missing out on a lot of story, so I suggest he do the same. That way, everyone can enjoy.

After all, once you purchase the game and then download a crack (for personal reasons, i.e. you do not distribute it), you are doing the gaming industry zero damage. It is just like a person who downloads songs from itunes, and then burns them on a CD because he has a portable CD player for journeys and doesnt want to have an itunes compatible mp3 player.

Posted on 14 Jan 2012 20:46:45 GMT
criticchris says:
Thanks alot - nearly bought this - wont now.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 13:09:51 GMT
N. Spencer says:
Has the DRM been patched now? I read that is has but I can't find confirmation from a user anywhere. Apparently an online login is required at the start of a gameplay session, but once logged in, you cut off the internet connection.

Is this true?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2012 13:30:23 GMT
No, it hasn't.

You no longer need a constant, stable internet connection while playing the game, but the software checks that you are online everytime you start the game.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2012 14:12:45 GMT
Ah ok thanks for that.
I think I could live with that, it's still a bit of a pain but it is still much better than the "always on" connection. I have Brotherhood for PC and it requires the online log in at the beginning of each game session. Isnt too disruptive, providing the internet isnt down...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2012 15:41:29 GMT
Griesmayer says:
hm, this is weird. I had heard AC Brotherhood just requires a disc check and can be played offline, i.e. Ubisoft did not ship Brotherhood with the draconian DRM system that has been plaguing AC II...

Posted on 12 Feb 2012 21:32:29 GMT
N. Spencer says:
Not with mine at least. I don't need the disc, I just select the title from my games in Win7. It opens up Ubisoft "Game launcher" (which automatically signs in using an internet connection) and from the game launcher I am free to play the game. It doesnt bother me so much as its only a quick check (but then again I do have a constant internet connection)

Posted on 13 Sep 2013 16:50:30 BDT
This puts me right off. I was looking for cheap bargain games as an alternative to Steam (which I also have). I've decided not to buy this. I'll steer well clear of Ubi Soft until they stop this practice. Thanks for sharing.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2013 17:21:00 BDT
N. Spencer says:
These problems have been resolved now, you need to be online once to activate the and initially (to link it with your uplay name). After that, you need to open uplay whenever you want to play the game, which will connect to the Internet (by default). However this connection is no longer mandatory, and you won't be prevented from playing if you have no Internet. So it is safe to say that once you have installed the game with a one time Internet activation, you never have to be connected again and you can play it offline as much as you like.

That aside, the game is awesome and you will not be disappointed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (179 customer reviews)

34.99 4.75