ARRAY(0xa5e6eec4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be a great game except..., 5 Mar 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II (PC) (Video Game)
Ubisoft seems to now been crippling all their new games with a draconian DRM solution that means you need an always on internet connection and an Ubisoft account to play the game, even for singleplayer. If I want to play the game on a long journey I can't, if I want to play the game in a hotel on a business trip I can't, if I want to play it whilst staying at my parents who don't have the internet I can't. Even worse if your internet connection blips for any reason the game freezes which is AMAZINGLY and INDESCRIBABLY annoying until it can reach the Ubisoft server again!!! It TOTALLY ruins the gaming experience. Lastly you do no get the entire game on your disk, another reason to have a constant internet connection is that the game needs to download little sections of code for you to be able to complete the game. So what happens when they eventually turn their server off?! They say they'll patch the game...I don't believe them.

Game 8/10, DRM solution -1,000,000/10 giving a final score of -999,992. A good game totally ruined by the worst copy protection system I've ever witnessed as a PC gamer!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Mar 2010 15:40:17 GMT
The_KFD_Case says:
Indeed, and this is why I absolutely refuse to buy any current and future Ubisoft games utilising this DRM setup. I also refuse to buy ANY games from ANY developer/publisher utilizing similar methods. I'll sooner quit my gaming hobby which has been going strong for some 25 years now, take the hundreds if not thousands of pounds I spend annually on gaming related materials and put them to use elsewhere. I will not tolerate a third party corporate entity dictating to me when and where I can use a product I have legitimately purchased. They are not the law and they do not have a legal mandate to act as the law - that's what legitimately elected governments and their law enforcement branches are for.

Thank you for taking the time to help inform other people who may not already know about this travesty of a DRM system. It can not be repeated often enough and the DRM apologists can go stick it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2010 11:42:59 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
Well said!

Both UBISOFT and (lately) EA made promising steps towards reducing the idiocy level in their DRM schemes. Unfortunately greed and incompetency apparently regained the upper hand in the board meetings.

But no matter. As long as there is plenty of timely information available (and this is where the importance of reviews such as this one come in) the market will correct those obvious mistakes.

Posted on 3 May 2010 23:42:21 BDT
John Doherty says:
You know, Ubisoft seems to be setting out to make PC gaming an utterly unbearable, not-fun and frustrating experience. I think they should just cut out the middle-man and just NOT release these games on the PC any more. They clearly don't care about the PC, so why are they bothering? Either do it right, or not at all. I am never again giving Ubisoft one single penny of my money for their games until they wise up, however they accomplish it.

Posted on 10 May 2010 16:54:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 May 2010 17:05:17 BDT]

Posted on 10 May 2010 17:07:42 BDT
Jules says:
I dont like the DRM either, but its a brilliant game.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2010 11:34:33 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Nov 2011 17:26:11 GMT]

Posted on 25 Jul 2010 17:09:53 BDT
GizmoGeek says:
Thx for point this out!

I was going to buy this game but I already have other bad experiences with SecurRom to avoid any more games that carry this.
AC-2 is no doubt an excellent game, but like some other commenter pointed out, a coffeemaker that makes good coffee but gives you an electric shock, is not a good coffeemaker.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 18:34:24 BDT
CMFRIP says:
Lol... Want to buy this game quite desperately - the first was very good. But I am forcing my hand over DRM! They need to stop being so Greedy as Software companies & losen their Grip; I think Society in general WILL benefit in a positive way; as oppose to us buying something that 'isn't truely ours'; thats wrong.

Sorry this does present much new to this thread but I, along with you all am very passionate about Thwarting this Tyrany(by boycotting in this case...). I won't be buying this any time soon...(nervous twitch).. I hope (or as many Games as I would!)

Does anyone else think this is a move for the big Developers to push the PC Game Market off the board more so they can concentrate on the Main Consoles? The PC Game offerings have changed recently i.e. Wolfenstein...

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 08:24:34 GMT
ARX78 says:

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 08:30:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Nov 2010 08:36:13 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
Do you actually KNOW the origin of the word 'draconian" (without having to google it)?

Like the word "tyranny" it is Greek in origin and they both express accurately the excesses the media industry has gone to only to increase its profits at the expense of our consumer rights.
The use of "draconian" is pretty accurate, as in: "having your game stolen back from you IN FEAR of you pirating it is a draconian measure".

And don't be looking down at nerds now - it is the new hot crowd;-))
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.9 out of 5 stars (176 customer reviews)

34.99 5.65