5.0 out of 5 stars More than just 2.0, 13 Feb 2008
This review is from: Creative GigaWorks T40 Speakers (Electronics)
I've used a Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker Setup for the last two years, but as I have a shared house and mostly use them for listening to music at my desk (as opposed to something that requires the entire room to vibrate, like watching a loud movie), I decided to try a 2.0 setup.

PROS:
I was initially hesitant, thinking I'd lose some of the immersion and quality that you get from 5.1, but am so glad I bought these, as they are more than capable of doing everything I could need them to do (from a low-level volume listening to music, to a high-level sitting on my bed watching movies). The quality is crystal clear.

Calling these 2.0 speakers does not do them justice, as they are superior to a lot of 5.1 systems, and still capable of delivering a considerable bass. Larger than I expected (they are 12" high), but this is just a sign of how much good stuff is packed in there. Highly recommended.

CONS:
Very few, but they are worth mentioning:

1) When you receive the box, you will immediately notice how heavy it is. The majority of this weight is not the speakers; it's the AC Adapter - the thing weighs a ton!
Now, that in itself shouldn't be a problem, but the way it has been designed means that - while the cable length from the right speaker to the plug socket is fine - the length from the speaker to the AC Adapter is very, very short. Essentially this means that the AC Adapter will likely have to sit on your desk, and not the floor. I have tucked mine behind my monitor.

2) As with most speakers, they are annoyingly designed with the assumption that your computer is on the right-hand side of your desk. If it isn't, you may not have much flexibility in positioning your right speaker.

3) More of a tip than a criticism. The instructions tell you to plug the speakers in the port furthest to the left. I have an X-Fi soundcard and found this wasn't the case: I needed to plug it in the third port. So if you can't get them to play, try plugging it into every audio port until you hit the right one.

Despite these criticisms, I still give it five stars because I am happy with my purchase.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]